Rivers and other freshwater systems are central in the production of food and many forms of energy. As a result of population growth and climate change, the finite freshwater supplies become scarcer; hence the holistic and sustainable management of water resources is essential.
The 16th International Riversymposium provides an opportunity to look at the linkages that rivers provide to water-energy-food. It will also allow dialogue to continue and build the knowledge base and capacity to inform policy decisions that must include trade-offs between river basin protection and sustainable water, energy and food security.
- River systems: providing for people and food production
- Rivers and energy: new paradigms in a changing world
- River cities: water, energy and food systems
- River health: healthy rivers, healthy economies
- Rivers globally: pathways to sustainability