Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the world’s digital infrastructure company™, has released its 2022 Sustainability Report which outlines progress toward the company’s key environmental, social and governance (ESG) goals.
Focused on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UNSDGs) that are most aligned with its business—Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure; Climate Action; Affordable & Clean Energy; Decent Work & Economic Growth; Reduced Inequalities; and Gender Equality—Equinix’s Future First strategy is driven by its resolve to set ambitious targets, measure and transparently report progress, lead with ethics and integrity, and engage with stakeholders to drive change.
Most notably, Equinix has extended its industry leadership by achieving 96 per cent renewable energy coverage of its operational load for 2022, marking the fifth consecutive year with over 90 per cent renewable energy coverage, reflecting a 10 per cent year-over-year increase in procurement of renewables on a GWh-basis.
The company continues to make significant progress on its sustainability goals across all areas, including:
- Achieved the highest ranking of the CDP’s prestigious 2022 “Climate Change A List” for the first time
- Made progress toward its goal of engaging 66 per cent of its suppliers by qualified emissions to set a Science-Based Target (SBT) by 2025, with 17 per cent of Scope 3 emissions now covered by supplier-set targets
- Became the first digital infrastructure company to commit to optimizing operating temperature ranges within its data centres to improve data centre efficiency and power usage effectiveness (PUE)
- Launched the Equinix Foundation with a financial contribution of US$50 million aimed at advancing digital inclusion globally—from providing access to technology and connectivity, to fostering the development of the skills needed to thrive in today’s digitally driven world
- Continued progress toward the company’s aspirational five-year diversity goals, including a 13 per cent increase in the number of women employees globally as well as a 20 per cent increase in Black/African American employees in the US in the last year
- Achieved a 37 per cent increase in employee volunteering globally, tracking 22,760 employee volunteer hours across the regions
- Recognised for the second year in a row by the CDP for its supplier engagement practices
- Became one of the first digital infrastructure companies to tie executive compensation to ESG performance by implementing a modifier to short-term incentives for VP-level employees and above, including executive officers. As part of this initiative, the company aims to hold its leaders accountable for achieving both environmental and diversity objectives.
- Increased diverse representation on the corporate Board of Directors with three out of the four most recent additions self-identified as women and/or ethnically diverse
“Equinix believes in the future of possibility—a future where our planet is healthy, our global communities thrive, and every business leads with purpose. We believe the opportunity for our company remains strong as we continue to see our customers look to Platform Equinix as a key partner in advancing their digital transformation agenda, sustainably. We are proud of what we’ve achieved thus far and look forward to continuing to make further progress in 2023 and beyond as we press our competitive advantage,” said Keith Taylor, Chief Financial Officer, Equinix.
Equinix (Nasdaq: EQIX) is the world’s digital infrastructure company™. Digital leaders harness Equinix’s trusted platform to bring together and interconnect foundational infrastructure at software speed. Equinix enables organisations to access all the right places, partners and possibilities to scale with agility, speed the launch of digital services, deliver world-class experiences and multiply their value, while supporting their sustainability goals.
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.