The Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) has announced the outstanding technical presentations from the global geothermal community for 2015.
The selections were made in each of the GRC Technical Sessions held in late September at the 39th GRC Annual Meeting in Reno, Nevada, USA, the world’s largest annual geothermal energy event.
The judging criteria included the technical content, the quality of the visual aids and the presenter’s ability to communicate the subject matter. Over 135 presentations were made totaling over 45 hours over three days. More than 1,200 attendees came to the GRC Annual Meeting and GEA Expo from around the world.
The winning presentations in each session are:
- Basin & Range - A Case History of the Dixie Valley Geothermal Field, 1963- 2014, Benoit, Dick
- County Update - The United States of America Country Update 2015, Boyd, Toni & Sifford, Alex & Lund, John W.
- Direct Use 1 - Point of Use Automated Irrigation System for Enhanced Bottom Heat Agriculture Using Waste Steam Condensate in New York City and Waste Geothermal Hot Water and Steam Condensate in Iceland, Foley, William & Dell, Robert & Wei, C.S. & Unnthorsson, Runar
- Direct Use 2 - Accelerated Plant Growth Results from An Intensive Shallow Bottom Heat System Using Waste Geothermal Hot Water and Steam Condensate in Iceland, Dell, Robert & Unnthorsson, Runar & Wei, C.S. & Foley, William
- Drilling 1 - Use of Carbon Microfibers for Reinforcement of Calcium Aluminate - Class F Fly Ash Cement Activated With Sodium Metasilicate at up to 300°C, Pyatina, Tatiana & Sugama, Toshifumi
- Drilling 2 - Optimizing Geothermal Drilling With Petroleum Technology, Denninger, Kate & Eustes, Alfred & Baker, Walt & Bolton, Dan & Bell, Jason & Bell, Sean & Jacobs, Amelia & Nagandran, Uneshddarann & Quick, Ralph & Tilley, Mitch & Visser, Charles
- East African Rift - Stakeholder Engagement Through Participatory Research: A Case Study of Eburru Geothermal Wellhead Generator in Nakuru County, Kenya, Barasa, Philip J. & Mathenge, Rose W.
- EGS 1 - Permeability Measurement of Thermally Fractured Granite Under Confining Stress at 350- 450°C, Numakura, Tatsuya
- EGS 2 - Completion Design Considerations for a Horizontal Enhanced Geothermal System, Olson, Jeffrey & Eustes, Alfred & Fleckenstein, William & Eker, Erdinc & Baker, Reed & Augustine, Chad
- EGS 3 - Production Well Targeting at Newberry Volcano EGS Demonstration, Cladouhos, Trenton & Swyer, Michael W. & Uddenberg, Matthew E. & Petty, Susan & Nordin, Yini
- Exploration 1 - Will Stratigraphic Reservoirs Provide the Next Big Increase in U.S. Geothermal Power Generation?, Allis, Rick & Hardwick, Christian & Gwynn, Mark & Mines, Greg & Moore, Joseph
- Exploration 2 - Naval Air Station Fallon Mainside: An Update of Geothermal Exploration, Blake, Kelly & Tiedeman, Andrew & Sabin, Andrew & Lazaro, Michael & Meade, Dave & Huang, Wei- Chuang
- Geochemistry - Applications of Downhole Lithogeochemistry to Geothermal Exploration, Libbey, Ryan & Williams- Jones, A.E.
- Geology 1 - Examining Subsurface Processes Captured in Geothermal Host Rocks Using Computerised Tomography and Scanning Electron Microscopy, Lynne, Bridget Y.
- Geology 2 - The Structural Controls of the Black Warrior Blind Geothermal System, Truckee Range, Washoe- Churchill Counties, NV, USA, Sadowski, Andrew & Faulds, James
- Geophysics 1 - Separating Intrinsic From Scattering Seismic Wave Attenuation From Sonic Logs in a Geothermal Field, Duran, Evert & Van Wijk, Kasper & Adam, Ludmila & Wallis, Irene
- Geophysics 2 - Observations and Implications of Manetotelluric Data For Resolving Stratigraphic Reservoirs Beneath the Black Rock Desert, Utah, Hardwick, Christian & Allis, Rick & Wannamaker, Philip
- Oil & Gas - A Basin- Scaled Geothermal Assessment of Co- Produced Waters in Oil and Gas Fields: Uinta Basin, Utah, USA, Hardwick, Christian & Willis, Hobie & Gwynn, Mark L.
- Play Fairway 1 - Hydrogeologic Windows: Detection of Blind and Traditional Geothermal Play Fairways in Southwestern New Mexico Using Conservative Element Concentrations and Advective- Diffusive Solute Transport, Person, Mark & Kelley, Shari & Kelley, Richard & Karra, Satish & Harp, Dylan & Witcher, James & Bielicki, Jeffrey & Sutula, Glenn & Middleton, Richard & Pepin, Jeff
- Play Fairway 2 - Geothermal Play- Fairway Analysis of Washington State Prospects, Forson, Corina & Swyer, Michael W. & Schmalzle, Gina M. & Czajkowski, Jessica L. & Cladouhos, Trenton T. & Davatzes, Nicholas & Norman, David K. & Cole, Ryan A.
- Play Fairway 3 - Snake River Plain Play Fairway Analysis- Phase 1 Report, Shervais, John W. & Glen, Jonathan M. & Liberty, Lee M. & Dobson, Patrick & Gasperikova, Erika & Sonnenthal, Eric & Visser, Charles & Nielson, Dennis & Garg, Sobodh & Evans, James P. & Siler, Drew & DeAngelo, Jacob & Athens, Noah & Burns, Erick
- Power Plants 1 - Thrust Bearing Load Observations in Deep- Well Enclosed Lineshaft Pumps, Reede, Chris & Doumanidis, Haris & Aureli, Matteo
- Power Plants 2 - Geothermal Binary Power Plants at Raft River, San Emidio and Neal Hot Springs: Part 1 - Plant Descriptions and Design Performance Comparison, DiPippo, Ronald & Kitz, Kevin
- Power Plants 3 - DOE - GTO Low Temperature Project Case Study, Williams, Tom & Mines, Greg
- Power Plants 4 - Tubular Biofilm Reactor for Hydrogen Sulphide Removal From Geothermal Cooling Water, Bierre, Emily & Fullerton, Rob
- Regulatory - Alternative Water Policy Assessment for Enhanced Geothermal Systems - A Case Study, Schroeder, Jenna N. & Horner, Robert M. & Harto, Christopher B. & Clark, Corrie E.
- Reservoir Engineering/Modeling - DNA- Encapsulated Silica Nanoparticle Tracers for Fracture Characterization, Zhang, Yuran & Manley, Timothy & Li, Kewen & Horne, Roland
- Resource Assessment - Geothermal Prospector: Supporting Geothermal Analysis Through Spatial Data Visualization and Querying Tools, Getman, Daniel & Anderson, Arlene & Augustine, Chad
- Scaling & Mineral Extraction - Assessment of CHIM- XPT and Watch in Predicting the Calcite Scaling Potential of Geothermal Wells, Clemente, Vicente C. & Faja, Kenneth S. & Reed, Mark H. & Daco- AG, Lorena M. & Tamboboy, Remal J.T.
- Sedimentary Basins - Sedimentary Geothermal Resources in the Piceance Basin, Colorado, Morgan, Paul
- Tools - Ultra- High Temperature (250°C+) and Wide Operating Temperature Range Ultracapacitor Enabling Downhole Power Source For Geothermal Exploration, Brambilla, Nicolo & Martini, Fabrizio
The GRC has added all the papers associated with the technical session presentations to the GRC Geothermal Library at www.geothermal-library.org. Papers from the 2015 Annual Meeting are available for members only. Papers from previous years are available for all.
In the next few weeks the GRC will issue a call for papers to be presented at next year’s 40th GRC Annual Meeting taking place October 23-26, 2016 at the Sacramento Convention Center, California, USA.
Additional information about paper requirements and submission forms will be found at www.geothermal.org/meet-new.html or by contacting the GRC at (530) 758-2360.
About the Geothermal Resources Council:
With the experience and dedication of its diverse, international membership bolstering a 44-year track record, the Geothermal Resources Council has built a solid reputation as one of the world’s preeminent geothermal associations. The GRC serves as a focal point for continuing professional development for its members through its outreach, information transfer and education services. For more information, please visit www.geothermal.org.
Get your daily geothermal news at Global Geothermal News [geothermalresourcescouncil.blogspot.com]. Become a fan on Facebook [www.facebook.com/GeothermalResourcesCouncil]. Follow GRC on Twitter [@GRC2001]. Check out GRC’s YouTube Channel [www.youtube.com/GeothermalCouncil]. See geothermal photos on GRC’s Flicker page. [www.flickr.com/photos/geothermalresourcescouncil]