The Novo Nordisk Environmental Profit and Loss Account (E P&L) is a response to PUMA’s call for contributions to the E P&L methodology and the expert review of PUMA’s E P&L. The Novo Nordisk E P&L is reported in two parts; the main report, which focuses on the results and the application of these in a Novo Nordisk context, and the methodology report which focuses on the methodology applied for establishing the E P&L results.
Overview of results
- The total environmental impact amounts to 223 million Euro, including both Novo Nordisk operations and indirect impacts throughout the supply chain.
- The main environmental impacts occur in tier 1 and tier 3 (75 per cent). Novo Nordisk’s own operations constitute only 13 per cent of the total environmental impact.
- The results of the Novo Nordisk E P&L reveal that Novo Nordisk’s most material impacts on nature occur in tiers 1 and 3 with the emission of GHGs.
- Indirect spend constitutes more than 85 per cent of the total spend at Novo Nordisk in 2011.
- The environmental impacts relating to Indirect spend total 156 million Euros, or 70 per cent of the total environmental cost.
- Tier 1 and 3 are the largest contributors to the environmental costs relating to water consumption, likely driven by raw materials extraction, farming, machinery and equipment, buildings, etc.
- Direct spend accounts for a smaller share of the total spend, but includes operational energy usage, water usage and a large share of product distribution.
- The total environmental cost relating to Direct spend is 67 million Euros, approximately 30 per cent of the total impact of the E P&L.
- The tier distribution shows that the main impacts are located in Novo Nordisk operations, and tier 3.
- Novo Nordisk operational environmental costs are driven by the energy and water consumption at the production facilities, tier 1 impacts are driven by product distribution, tier 2 from processing of raw materials and tier 3 includes raw material impacts, primarily from corn production for glucose and oil extraction for plastic materials.
Further reading: Methodology document
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.