DNV’s first dedicated hydrogen forecast to 2050 provides new and expanded hydrogen findings from our Energy Transition Outlook model – exploring the outlook globally, regionally, and by sector. We combine this with the knowledge we have gained in our projects, research and development.
We find that hydrogen is essential to a clean energy future, but many questions remain around hydrogen’s large-scale use as an energy carrier.
- When, where and by how much will hydrogen scale?
- In which sectors will hydrogen and derivatives be used? And where will they not be used?
- How will hydrogen be transported and traded?
- What will be spent on hydrogen through to 2050?
- Which policies and strategies can best accelerate the scaling of hydrogen?
- What can be done to reduce risk and increase the attractiveness of hydrogen investments?
- How can hydrogen safety and perception challenges be overcome?
- Which hydrogen value chains will be successful, which won’t? What are the pioneering examples?