The Government of the Republic of South Africa, in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture organization of the United Nations (FAO), will host the XIV World Forestry Congress in Durban, South Africa, from 7 to 11 September 2015. For the first time the Congress is being held in Africa.
The World Forestry Congress is the largest and most significant gathering of the world’s forest sector, held every six years. Its objectives are to inform, orient and influence international action in forestry and to elevate the sector’s role in global development. It attracts a vibrant cross-section of the global forestry community and provides multiple fora to stimulate forward-looking ideas and proposals and creative solutions.
Why Have Another Congress?
The Congress will be a key occasion for the world’s forester’s supports to gather, to share their expertise and experience, and to project a new vision for the future. This XIV Session will be crucial as the world will be entering a new development era with the adoption of the post-2015 development goals. The Congress will be the first global forestry event after this, and therefore its role in helping to define a sustainable roadmap can be pivotal.
The Congress Will:
- Clarify why it is so important to recognize forestry as an integral part of sustainable development-from local to national and international levels.
- Identify analyze and raise awareness of the major issues facing the sector and propose new forms of technical, scientific and policy actions that will result in forests greater sustainability by linking sound policy to feasible practice.
- Serve as a key venue in 2015 for the world’s foresters-from decision-makers to local practitioners as well as sectoral partners-to share their knowledge and latest findings, in a forum that will allow for challenging, constructive and sometimes controversial debate, the exchange of experience ad views and the fostering of collaborative partnerships and networks.
- Provide a global showcase for the sector’s latest developments and innovations, using multi-media learning platforms to illustrate their practical applications and linkages.
- Ensure that critical issues are visibly addressed and that all key stakeholders, including young people, women and local communities, are given a platform where the voice of the constituencies they represent will be heard.
For more information, visit World Forestry Congress website.
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.