The Smart City Expo takes place November 15-17
Smart City Hack 2016 Announces 10 Finalists and Finale Event Times
Barcelona, November 10: The 2016 edition of global IoT project Smart City Hack nears its end with the ten finalists and finale times now revealed. Since this June Smart City Hack 2016 has sought the best app and IT solutions from around the world to pitch during November’s Smart City Expo, Barcelona. Events in Catalunya, Phoenix, Austin, Granada and Gutalema allowed local developers to share and pitch ideas while a later open online call garnered over fifty submissions. This global initiative encouraged developers, enterprises, startups, digital entrepreneurs and citizens to submit mobile applications and other technological solutions that fit into one of the following five themes Energy and Emissions, Urban Mobility, City Collaborative, Health and Wellness.
After an online voting stage including both judges and the public was completed in October the following ten apps and IT solution were selected.
- New York: Cloudparc, a combination of machine vision, smartphones and A.I. for better parking.
- Phoenix: Storage Together, a sharing economy based storage app connecting renters and rentees with spare home space.
- Madrid: WhatsCine, cinema and television enhancer for those with sensory disabilities. Barcelona: Map4All, Interactive map displaying places that have facilities for those with any motor, visual or hearing impairment.
- Minuts, Community action app rewarding involvement with vouchers for services such as cinema and museum tickets.
- Daysk, Workspace reservation and database for professionals who work remotely.
- Greencustomers, An IT energy monitoring tool focused on tourism sustainability.
- Psonríe, An app to increase ease and accessibility to a qualified psychologist .
- Nigeria: ExploreAfrica, A business directory with a focus on tourist hotspots within Africa.
- Uruguay: Citycop, A social GPS application to protect communities from crime.
The finalists will have just a few minutes each to showcase their product’s merits to an onstage jury including members of Cisco and Intel (as well as a crowd of Smart City representatives.) Last year’s Smart City Expo saw over 14,000 attendees from 500 cities visit. Smart City Hack founder and dotopen CEO Carles Ferreiro had this to say on the project: “This year’s Smart City Hack has supported hundreds of entrepreneurs in cities around the world in addressing some of our most pressing challenges. The finalists will present innovative solutions that support the new empowered citizen, harnessing the power of technology, connectivity and collaboration.”
CALL FOR MEDIA EVENT: Smart City Hack Finale
DAY: Wednesday, November 16TIME: 16.00
PLACE: Gran Via Exhibition Center, Juan Carlos I Avenue, 64, Hospitalet de Llobregat - Smart Plaza