At Green Initiatives’ 72nd film screening and a special event organized in support of the 21-Day Vegan Challenge, we are screening Racing Extinction, a 2015 documentary about the ongoing Anthropogenic mass extinction of species and the efforts from scientists, activists and journalists to document it by Oscar-winning director Louie Psihoyos, who directed the documentary The Cove (2009).
Film screening will be followed by a short discussion with Samyuktha Thyagarajan (commonly known as Eve), a Polymer Research Engineer, a practicing vegan for 4 years as well as the moderator of a popular vegan community wechat group.
- Entrance fee of ¥50 for all registered guests, that includes snacks, juice and beer. ¥70 at-the-door for non-registered guests.
- ¥20 for participants of the 21-day Vegan Challenge and students / interns (limited seats), with valid proof of participation and student card.
- We have seating space only for 70 people although we have plenty of standing space. Please come in early to secure a seat.
- Film comes with Chinese subtitles.
- 18:00-19:00 Registrations & networking
- 19:00-19:15 Welcome note and introductions
- 19:15-20:30 RACING EXTINCTION film screening
- 20:30-21:00 Q&A/Discussions
- 20:45-21:30 Drinks and networking
The 21-Day Vegan Challenge
The 21-Day Vegan Challenge is a challenge to not only better yourself, but also help reduce impacts of climate change. The challenge started on February 11th and lasts until March 4th. During these 21 days, there will be 20+ restaurants offering ~30% off on their vegan options. The organizing team will be with the participants all the way, offering video recipes and support on their WeChat groups on a daily basis.
Fun and engaging events are spread over the 21 days, including cooking, fitness, yoga classes, educational seminars, potluck parties, mobile rides, picnics will be available for all.
More details about the challenge can be found at this link.
Racing Extinction - Film Synopsis
Utilizing state-of-the-art equipment, Oscar®-winner Louie Psihoyos (The Cove) assembles a team of artists and activists intent on showing the world never-before-seen images that expose issues of endangered species and mass extinction. The film received one Academy Award nomination, for best Original Song, and one Emmy nomination. Racing Extinction premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, followed by limited theater release, with worldwide broadcast premiere on The Discovery Channel in 220 countries or territories on December 2, 2015.
Racing Extinction′s website details further information about contemporary extinction and campaigns with which to prevent them. The film was created by the Oceanic Preservation Society.
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.