Announcing the National Environment Conference on Tuesday 4th June 2013. This year’s theme will be “Responding to Climate Change: How can Brunei Darussalam make a difference?”.
This year’s theme will focus on urgent issues around climate change and how we can transform the present and the future using knowledge and technology. The programme will look at the foremost issues and challenges, youth empowerment, sustainable energy options for Brunei, role of technology in sustainable development and policies for a low carbon future.
Now on its 6th year, the conference brings together annually up to 250 key stakeholders and leading members of the public and private sectors and academia. The National Environment Conference continues to provide a platform for engaging the government and private sector on the issues of environmental stewardship, natural resource management, and the green economy for a sustainable future.
Distinguished thought leaders and practitioners from the region who have confirmed to speak include:
- Mr Tim Jarvis, environmental scientist, adventurer and author who is the Shackleton Epic Expedition Leader
- Madam Tri Mumpuni, an agriculture engineer and active campaigner of clean energy from Indonesia who founded IBEKA, a not-for-profit People Centered Economic and Business Institute (IBEKA)
- Mr Von Hernandez, an environmental activist and Executive Director of Greenpeace Southeast Asia
- Mr David Vincent, Head of the UK Foreign Office’s South East Asia Climate Change Network
Alongside the conference, a Green Expo will take place gathering global and local industry leaders and the public to meet, contact, network, exchange goods, services, knowledge and experience in the context of green living. This year’s Green Expo will showcase global resources for the environment, energy, water, recycling, sustainable living and green technology.
In the lead up to the conference, a Billion Dollar Challenge in the format of a boot camp will also take place to give young people in Brunei the opportunity to decide how they would solve the world’s biggest problems if they were given One Billion Dollars.
Convened by Asia Inc Forum in collaboration with Alcoa, HSBC and Total, the National Environment Conference is a platform for dialogue between business, government environmental practitioners, civil society, educational institutions and other stakeholders and individuals who care about the environment and aspire to make a difference.
Who should attend:
- Senior government officers
- Environmental practitioners
- Business leaders and key corporate figures
- Civil society
- Executives and Professionals
- And individuals who aspire to make a difference