What is EarthFest? EarthFest is a large-scale event where the businesses, influencers and charities championing sustainability in Singapore come together to give the public access to a comprehensive view of sustainability. Everything is done in an engaging, fun, and empowering way. In September 2015, EarthFest premiered at Marina Barrage to huge success leading to its sequels in February 2017 and January 2018. EarthFest 2018 brought over 7000 visitors together over for a day of inspiration. You can see a recap video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-_wbz_PZN0
A bit more about EarthFest…
What makes EarthFest stand apart from other sustainability events is that we pay attention to all the small details. EarthFest…
- embraces minimalism to make it low waste.
- uses positive psychology and experiences to inspire and empower people to transform our future.
- carbon offsets.
- incorporate sharing and circular economies.
- includes upcycling and freecycling communities.
- is plant-based and cruelty-free.
- is science-based.
- does not allow palm oil ingredients unless certified sustainable.
- has quality food vendors representing from top rated plant-based restaurants.
- all vendors are hand-picked and have more responsible products.
- has a variety of activities and events so there is something for everyone.
- is held in one of the most sustainable and beautiful buildings in the world: Marina Barrage.
- educates the visitors in advance to bring their own bags, reusable water bottles, etc.
Minimalism: Choosing experiences with friends and family over materialism lessens your footprint.
- This year we’re bringing the tiny house movement to EarthFest! That’s right, you get to explore a tiny house right at the festival.
- Green is the New Black will be hosting talks about sustainability issues featuring inspiring guest speakers.
- Singapore Eco Film Festival will be hosting a screening.
- Orgayana is creating a whole new children’s area experience! Marina Barrage also has a newly renovate water play area.
- Our Maker Faire will be back - try your hands at some genuine upcycling projects.
- We have live music all day at the EarthStage!
- Awesome Foundation will be doing a live pitchfest to award $1000 to a worthy green initiative.
- Explore two floors of the EarthCarnival full of interactive activities from NGOs and schools.
- And we all need to eat, which leads into our Food Fair! See next point :)
Plant-based: Eating lower on the food chain reduces greenhouse gases and land and water usage.
- Our food fair will feature all the best plant-based foods in Singapore.
- The Beyond Meat Burger that made waves in Singapore will be there!
- Just Egg will be there!
- Vendors include: HRVST, VeganBurg, Well Dressed Salad Bar, Grand Hyatt, Poppy and Co, Urban Bites, Smoocht, Banyan Tamarind Foods, Kwan Inn Vegetarian, Popaganda, Quorn, Ugly Foods, Delcies Cakes and Desserts and more!
Zero Waste: Preventing waste is better than recycling.
- This year we are incentivizing BYO by charging for the compostable disposables (which we actually do compost!).
- We have all vendors tell us the waste they anticipate generating and try to find ways to prevent it or encourage circular economy solutions.
- We’ll be promoting our Zero Waste Challenge!
- We have more zero waste vendors than ever before to help people ditch disposable living.
- We have the Singapore Really Really Free Market, where you can drop off and pick up free things for reuse!
- SecondsGuru will be hosting a book swap!
Biophilia: Making time to foster a love of nature gives us a reason to care enough to protect it.
- EarthFest will have more plants on the ground of the festival this year and have vendors that can help connect people with initiatives in nature.
- There will be vendors that can help you grow your own food or other plants at home!
- UWC students will be helping people plant trees (great CO2 sequestration too!)
Advocacy: Donating our time or money to environmental causes is the only way change happens.
- Visitors can discover many local NGOs that they can volunteer with or donate to.
- Interactive educational booths and experiences by: WWF Singapore, Conservation International, Animal Allies, Trash Heroes, Zero Waste Singapore, Foodscape Collective, Humane Society International, Climate Conversations Limited, Nature Society, Secondsguru, ACRES, Earth Society, Plastic-Lite Singapore, Lepak In SG, Little Green Men, A Rocha / Climate Stewards, Cicada Tree Eco-Place, Effective Altruism Singapore, Forest School Singapore, EarthLink, Kampung Senang and more!
- Schools exhibition with students showing what they’re doing at their schools
Carbon Positive: It’s time to go beyond carbon neutral.
- We are the first festival to be carbon positive: we have offset more carbon than the festival will generate thanks to ESPower.
- Our venue Marina Barrage has solar panels and the festival site is open-air so that there is no energy intensive air-con usage.
- We have chosen only to supply electricity when necessary for food safety and preservation.
- EarthFest only allows certified sustainable palm oil products and ingredients.
The limited tickets are free and available at http://bit.ly/EarthFest2019Tix
EarthFest Singapore is a charity event and only possible thanks to LingZhi Vegetarian, Bio-home, and Singapore Press Holdings for sponsoring.
The event is in collaboration with Marina Barrage (PUB), one of the most sustainable venues in the world:
- Marina Barrage received the Green Mark Platinum Infrastructure Award, the top award at the BCA Awards- The iconic Green Roof uses 100 per cent recycled plastics and eco-friendly drainage cells.
- The large rooftop garden shields the building from the sun and reduces maximum surface temperature by 3˚C.- Double-glazed glass panels also reduce heat penetration, minimising the need for air-conditioning system..
- The Solar Park generates 76,000 kWh electricity per annum (equivalent to about 180 average households in Singapore)- Marina Barrage uses waterless urinals and water-efficient taps in its restrooms.
- Marina Barrage has installed sub-metering to track water leakage, and monitor water and electricity consumption.
- Use of architecture design to create a wind tunnel effect to channel sea breeze in to cool its central courtyard
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.