Six CEO-led partner organisations of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) in South East Asia agree to join forces to drive the development of a business-led sustainability agenda in the ASEAN region.
With a combined membership of more than 200 of the most forward looking corporations, the coalition partners are launching a platform called “Action2020 in South East Asia”. Its aim is to create the conditions to implement at a large scale the business solutions that can help solve the most critical environmental and social problems of the region.
The platform will serve as a dialogue partner to a wide range of stakeholders such as ASEAN Secretariat, Governments, Institutions and other NGOs to help realise an ASEAN community that simultaneously balances environmental sustainability, social cohesion and sustained economic growth.
It is to be used as a vehicle to address common challenges such as: climate change, pollutions, transboundary haze, environmental degradation, social disparities, and concerns about food, water and energy.
By teaming up and setting a common sustainability agenda, actions from the private sector can be better aligned and more focused so that real and more tangible impact can be achieved. At the same time, it creates new business opportunities and brings competitive advantage to the most innovative and responsible companies.
Peter Bakker, WBCSD President and CEO says: “WBCSD’s Action2020 platform requires collaboration with solutions-oriented organizations to leverage local partnerships and scale up implementation of business solutions for a more sustainable world. Global Network plays a critical role in advancing Action 2020 business solutions and the coalition of Southeast Asian BCSDs will significantly contribute to effectively tackling the sustainability challenges across ASEAN.”
Action2020 is the world’s largest concerted corporate sustainability initiative. Backed by scientific research, it sets the agenda for business action on sustainability to 2020 and beyond - at global, regional and national levels.
Business Council for Sustainable Development Singapore www.bcsd.org.sg
Mr Constant Van Aerschot email@example.com
- Indonesia Business Council for Sustainable Development www.ibcsd.or.id: Ms Tiur Rumondang firstname.lastname@example.org
- Business Council for Sustainability and Responsibility Malaysiawww.bcsrmalaysia.org: Mr Stirling Yiing email@example.com
- Philippines Business for the Environment www.thepbe.org: Mr Bonar Laureto firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thai Business Council for Sustainable Development www.tei.or.th/tbcsd: Dr. Qwanruedee Chotichanathawewong email@example.com
- Vietnam Business Council for Sustainable Development www.vbcsd.vn: Mr Quang Vinh Nguyen firstname.lastname@example.org