Book your place at the world’s premier natural capital event:
- Understand how the opportunities and risks associated around natural capital could affect your bottom line
- Network with senior decision makers and sustainability leaders from around the world
- Gain access to the latest developments and practical tools
- See how natural capital relates to other current developments in corporate social responsibility
- Help shape the debate for the benefit of business and the planet
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in finance
Click here to learn more about the programme streams and latest speakers.
WHAT IS NATURAL CAPITAL ACCOUNTING?
Fresh water, clean air, fertile soil, fish stocks and forests are all examples of the natural capital on which human wellbeing and economic prosperity depend. Yet these natural assets do not appear on traditional balance sheets and can therefore be invisible in decision-making. As a result, we are losing natural capital faster than ever before. A 2013 report by the TEEB for Business Coalition (now the Natural Capital Coalition) estimates the cost of environmental externalities at a staggering US$7.3 trillion annually. But we can’t manage what we don’t measure.
Natural capital accounting is a rapidly evolving new way of thinking about how we value the economic benefits we derive from our natural environment. It is a methodology which enables governments, corporations and organisations to measure their environmental impacts and dependencies on natural capital in order to improve decision making to achieve better economic and environmental outcomes.(Click here for an explanation of natural capital and ecosystem services.)
The World Forum on Natural Capital is organised by the Scottish Wildlife Trust in association with the United Nations Environment; International Union for Conservation of Nature; World Business Council for Sustainable Development; Natural Capital Coalition and Green Economy Coalition.
Follow @NatCapForum on twitter to find out about the next World Forum on Natural Capital, 27-28 November 2017 in Edinburgh.
World Forum Team
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.