The steel industry’s transition to sustainable and greener steelmaking will vary across different continents and regions. Steel producers in Western countries have already begun investing in improving steel industry sustainability and the market is likely to see a more rapid adoption of low-carbon technologies compared with steel producers in China and India, where the combination of newer capital assets and cost pressures will bring a gradually shifting transition.
Though in countries where the transformation to greener steel might be slower, steelmakers are also making incremental investments in process improvements to decrease energy consumption, reduce carbon emissions, increase resource efficiency and promote the circular economy. Given the relatively large carbon footprint of steel production across the world, even small steps will exert big impacts in driving the industry towards carbon neutrality.
According to the reports by MarkNtel Advisors, “the Middle East and Africa Green Steel Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of around 38% during the forecast period, i.e., 2025-30 owing to the growing inclination towards sustainable and environment-friendly products in the region.
The government of the countries in the region such as the UAE, Saudi Arabia are taking several initiatives to reduce their carbon emissions which involves decarbonisation of its steel industry.” The MENA region (Middle East and North Africa) could become a global leader in green steel production and direct reduced iron (DRI) trade as stated in a study by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA).
It’s against this industry backdrop that we are announcing the upcoming MENA Green Steel Summit 2024 in Dubai, aiming to bring tremendous industry experts and decision makers across the industry value chain worldwide sharing market intelligence and insights into how the future green steelmaking is evolving. We are really looking forward to hosting you in Dubai!
- Steel and Iron Ore’s decarbonisation roadmap in a 2050 net-zero scenario
- Iron and Steelmaking – Transformation for Sustainability towards a Greener Future
- Decarbonise steel and Ferroalloys while producing sustainable aviation fuels and chemicals
- Unlocking green steel - how the MENA can be part of the global effort to decarbonise the steel industry
- Stainless Steel — Providing the Sustainable Materials Choice
- Options to increase the sustainability of EAF steelmaking
- Hydrogen DRI and scrap - transformation of primary and secondary production
- Green Hydrogen in Steelmaking - Operational Implementation Challenges
- Unlocking the first wave of breakthrough steel investments - making clean hydrogen DRI financially viable at commercial scale
- Raw Materials — Upstream Supply Chains Under Green and Decarbonisation Pressure
- Advances in UAE’s Metals Sector to Facilitate Infrastructure Investments towards sustainability
- Critical Insights: Energy Crisis in Europe and the Impact on Future ESG Ambitions
- Towards Industry 4.0: How the Digitalisation of Steel Value Chain can Support a Green Transformation?
- How Green Digitalisation Acts a Driver of Decarbonisation towards Green Steelmaking
- Crafted Scrap - Advanced Technology for High Quality Green Steel Production
- Sustainability Perspectives: Help or hindrance? The role of energy prices in the green steel transition
- Implementation of New Technologies in Steel Industry — from Producers’ Perspective
- Global scrap and metallics markets dynamics- How Big a Role Scraps and Metallics Play in Decarbonising the Steel Industry
- Sustainable Steelmaking for the Production Processes of Today and Tomorrow
- Partnership across the Value Chain to Deliver Carbon Neutral Steel