The main objective of this International Workshop on Bamboo Green Growth and Carbon Finance is to exchange experience on national and regional policies, which influence carbon finance and project development for the bamboo industry. Paving the way for long-term cooperation between China, Southeast Asian countries, and France is also a desired outcome of this event. To that end, a variety of stakeholders have been invited to participate including government officials, expert researchers, Industry representatives, carbon finance practitioners, and development agency representatives.
This event follows on from the Trilateral Technical Workshop on Bamboo Carbon Credit held in Kunming and Xishuangbanna of China on May 26th-27th 2011, which presented the outcomes of the Rural Carbon Development and Capacity Building Project in Yunan and Sichuan Provinces — a cooperation project jointly signed by The Administrative Centre for China’s Agenda 21 (ACCA21), the French Development Agency (AFD), and the French Global Environment Facility (FFEM), and exploring an innovative afforestation methodology based on Dragon Bamboo (dendrocalamus giganteus) farming in south-western China. Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and voluntary carbon mechanisms were also central to the 2011 Kunming workshop.
While significant progress has already been made toward advancing this Green Bamboo Growth concept, a range of priority topics will be in scope during the present workshop:
- Review of the progress of the Rural Carbon Development and Capacity Building Project;
- Review of domestic and regional carbon finance policies;
- Review of the development of the global bamboo Industry, and related carbon finance support;
- Application of innovative bamboo-based afforestation and farming methodologies to Southeast Asian countries;
- Development of a regional cooperation network.
On behalf of the organising committee, let us wish you a Happy Khmer New Year 2012!