According to Precedence Research, the global green steel market size accounted for USD 196.84 million in 2022 and the industry is anticipated to grow due to steel manufacturers’ increasing shift to sustainable steel production to attain net-zero emissions.
Furthermore, with their goals to use sustainable products, various end-user sectors, such as building & construction, automotive, and so on, are predicted to boost their need for low-carbon steel. The worldwide market is likely to be influenced primarily by governments in Canada, the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, and France, among others, towards adopting sustainable products, lowering carbon emissions, and manufacturing practices in verticals such as electronics, industrial equipment, and construction.
Decarbonising the entire steel industry is a necessity and a significant challenge in the face of climate change. Conventional steel-making accounts for approximately 7 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions, which is roughly equivalent to the annual emissions of all cars on the planet’s roads.
The steel industry’s transition to sustainable and greener steelmaking will vary across different continents and regions. Steel producers in Western countries have already begun investing in improving steel industry sustainability and the market is likely to see a more rapid adoption of low-carbon technologies compared with steel producers in China and India, where the combination of newer capital assets and cost pressures will bring a gradually shifting transition.
Though in countries where the transformation to greener steel might be slower, steelmakers are also making incremental investments in process improvements to decrease energy consumption, reduce carbon emissions, increase resource efficiency and promote the circular economy. Given the relatively large carbon footprint of steel production across the world, even small steps will exert big impacts in driving the industry towards carbon neutrality.
Realising the ultimate transition will require nothing less than a concerted effort from all stakeholders including governments, associations, solution providers, steel makers and the support of emerging technologies that aims at improving sustainability across the entire steel industry value chain.
Steel is one of the world’s most sustainable materials — permanent, forever reusable and the most recycled substance on the planet. Building a greener steel world is a long-term investment that will yield enormous both economic and environmental benefits over the full life cycle of green steel. Green is the best business.
Steel and Iron Ore’s decarbonisation roadmap in a 2050 net-zero scenario
- Iron and Steelmaking – Transformation for Sustainability towards a Greener Future
- Decarbonise steel and Ferroalloys while producing sustainable aviation fuels and chemicals
- Unlocking green steel - how the EU can reinvigorate, decarbonise and futureproof the steel industry
- How the increasing market demand for greener steel will reshape future steelmaking?
- Stainless Steel — Providing the Sustainable Materials Choice
- How Recycling Helps Steel Industry Transform towards Sustainability?
- Raw Materials — Upstream Supply Chains Under Green and Decarbonisation Pressure
- Critical Insights: Energy Crisis in Europe and the Impact on Future ESG Ambitions
- Towards Industry 4.0: How the Digitalisation of Steel Value Chain can Support a Green Transformation?
- Replacement of Fossil Coal and Coke in Steelmaking with Renewable Biocarbon
- Responsible Steel – building a more sustainable steel industry
- How Green Digitalisation Acts a Driver of Decarbonisation towards Green Steelmaking
- Crafted Scrap - Advanced Technology for High Quality Green Steel Production
- Sustainability Perspectives: Help or hindrance? The role of energy prices in the green steel transition
- Implementation of New Technologies in Steel Industry — from Producers’ Perspective
- Global scrap and metallics markets dynamics- How Big a Role Scraps and Metallics Play in Decarbonising the Steel Industry
- Sustainable Steel for Packaging: Closing the loop on steel and metal packaging
- Sustainable Steelmaking for the Production Processes of Today and Tomorrow
- Partnership across the Value Chain to Deliver Carbon Neutral Steel