Impact Chat “Innovations in Health Financing”

Date
Location

Singapore

More information

Visit the event website

Event Type
Event Industry/Topic

Shujog and IIX are excited to host a second Impact Chat exploring how innovative financial instruments can support the goal of achieving universal health care.

On average 40% of healthcare services in Asia are financed by the public sector, either through the tax system or compulsory insurance. This leaves 60% of healthcare costs paid through out-of-pocket spending, which is disproportionately burdensome for the poor.

Identifying a variety of funding mechanisms is necessary to overcome the funding gap, decrease the over-reliance on out-of-pocket spending, and meet the projected increase in healthcare expenditure.

So, how do we achieve universal healthcare?

Through innovative health financing.

Innovative health financing layers risk by bringing together investors with different risk appetites. It helps to form a continuum from donor-based funding to blended and hybrid capital to return-driven capital by using different financial models. Innovative health financing can accelerate the scaling of healthcare access and provision.

Brainstorm with us as our expert panelists from Quadria Capital and SingHealth Foundation participate and comment on a discussion draft of Shujog’s research paper “Financing healthcare services for the poor”.

Register to receive your advance copy of the paper and be prepared to engage in a thoughtful debate about how to achieve universal healthcare. We are excited to be preparing our “Financing healthcare services for the poor” research paper with your input!


Event details:

Topic: Innovations in Health Financing

Date: 7 April 2014, Monday

Time: 6:30pm – 7:30pm

Venue:

12 Marina Boulevard

DBS Asia West Auditorium, Level 3
Marina Bay Financial Centre Tower 3

Singapore 018982

We would like to express our sincere thanks to DBS Bank for providing the venue and light refreshments for this Impact Chat.

Speakers:

Abrar Mir is the co-founder and Managing Partner, Quadria Capital. He has over 20 years of international private equity, investment banking and healthcare industry experience. Abrar has led numerous private equity transactions across Europe, Middle East and Asia. Previously, Abrar was the Global Head of Healthcare Investment Banking at Religare Capital Markets and Managing Director at Bank of America Merrill Lynch in London. He is also a qualified international finance lawyer, and holds an M.A in degree in International Law from the University of Cambridge.

Nancy Frohman, General Manager, SingHealth Foundation. She has been working in the financial sector for almost 20 years. In her current role, Nancy has combined her strengths and experiences from professional and pro-bono activities in the areas of corporate social responsibility, sustainability, responsible investing, and governance. Nancy manages the philanthropic healthcare foundation that focuses on giving grants for biomedical research, education and patient services. Nancy holds a Bachelor of Arts cum laude from Duke University and an MBA with honors from the Thunderbird School of Global Management and International Finance.

Moderator:

Alison Eskesen, Director of Research and Programs, Shujog. She has built a track record of measurable results at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) mobilizing local capital for local development projects and creating and managing development programs. Prior to her tenure at USAID, Alison traded fixed income securities at an asset management company, fundraised for a New York State non-governmental organization, and consulted for the United Nations Development Programme and the Rockefeller Foundation. Alison holds a M.A. from Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs and a B.A. from Colgate University.

Advertisement

Supporting Organisations

ABB
Asia Plantation Capital
Diamond Energy
Basf
City Developments Ltd
DNV-GL
Geocycle
Sindicatum
Olam