Six Senses Vision & Values
• Fully understand and embrace Six Senses’ company vision and values and their applications in all tasks associated with the host’s duty
• Embody brand philosophies of sustainability, wellness, and artisanship in both professional and personal life at the resort
• Adhere to all Six Senses brand standards ensuring successful communication of these across all departments
• Manage resort’s ongoing compliance with the Six Senses Corporate Sustainability Guidelines for Operations
• Execute resort-specific Sustainability Action Plan by setting annual goals with each department in order to achieve compliance and reach 2020 Goals
• Incorporate sustainability topics into daily conversation, ensure all hosts are comfortable speaking to guests and their communities about sustainability
• Drive innovation for self-reliance, resource efficiency, and zero waste with fun and quirky homemade products and unique activities
• Act as a focal point for ideas and initiatives from all resort hosts to make their role/department more efficient, less wasteful, more creatively sustainable
• Communicate best practices from other properties shared throughout Six Senses Global Sustainability Team, and support their adaptation and implementation at the resort.
• Develop and lead fun sustainability events on a monthly basis which celebrate international days (Earth Day, International Coastal Cleanup, etc.) with guests, hosts, and local communities.
• Lead guest ‘Back of House Tours’ to showcase resort operations and sustainability initiatives
• Develop new guest experiences that showcase local culture, the surrounding environment, and teach guests how to make their lives more sustainable back home
• Ensure that all guest feedback relevant to sustainability on the property is documented and actioned upon in a timely manner
• Manage resort Sustainability Team, including Education & Community Outreach Manager, Permaculturalist, Earth Lab team, Leaf Organic Gardeners, Maldives Underwater Initiative (MUI) marine biologists, and all interns.
• Act as bridge between all departments to ensure operations are aligned with sustainability goals
• Engage with all department heads to set sustainability goals for their teams and create a culture of sustainability at the resort
• Cultivate relationships will all hosts at the resort in order to inspire their hearts and minds to make sustainable changes in their lives, both at work and at home
• Continue existing relationships with external partners the property currently has and identify opportunities for enhancing existing or adding new partnerships, as applicable
• Manage the resort Permaculturalist, who supervises the organic garden production, chicken farm, and Earth Lab recycling center. Daily morning briefings, weekly task assignments, monthly record keeping, annual goal setting.
• Consistently increase resort in-house production of herbs, fruits, and vegetables in the organic garden.
• Increase self-reliance by producing as much as possible homemade, from scratch, from recycled materials (i.e. festive decorations, event banners, etc.)
• Strive for zero waste to landfill by improving waste segregation, creatively upcycling materials in Earth Lab, consistently sending recycling, and preventing waste from being created in the first place
• Ensure the team has all supplies and equipment required.
• Manage the Maldives Underwater Initiative (MUI) team of marine biologists from the resort and partner NGOs. Daily briefings, weekly activities schedule, bi-weekly team meetings, monthly events calendar, annual goal setting.
• Support MUI marine biologists (no prior marine biology experience necessary) to set targets in pursuit of achieving resort sustainability goals, greater nationwide conservation goals, and global mitigation of climate change
• Raise awareness among guests, hosts, and community members about the importance of healthy oceans, the threats facing them, and how individual actions can help to preserve their biodiversity
• Facilitate visiting experts to come to the resort, train the team in research methods, engage with guests in specially offered activities, and conduct community talks/workshops
• Attend bi-weekly MUI team meetings to discuss current projects and upcoming events, brainstorm and troubleshoot where team members need help, and plan team building activities
• Uphold contact with NGO partners to ensure work plans are being carried out and all activities are aligned with Six Senses overarching goals as a member of The Long Run (4C Plan – Conservation, Community, Culture, and Commerce)
Education & Community Outreach
• Manage the Education & Community Outreach Manager, who acts as liaison with Laamu Atoll communities. Daily briefings, weekly task assignments, monthly events calendar, annual goal setting.
• Develop and maintain relationships with key community organisations and representatives (i.e., schools, local governments, women’s committees, NGOs, local businesses, etc.) through Eku Eky community outreach program.
• Engage with the local community on a regular basis and ensure that the property is an active and supportive member through Sustainability Fund projects and educational, fun environmental awareness activities
• Regularly visit local schools through Hello Hallu education program to ensure marine conservation and sustainability topics are taught in addition to normal curriculum; build an environmentally-aware generation of youth who can be advocates in their islands
• In collaboration with Human Resources, develop and deliver host training material, including new host orientation, general sustainability topics, plastic-free, zero waste, etc.
• Allocate Sustainability Funds towards projects that benefit local communities and ecosystems, in line with guidelines of what funds can/cannot be spent on
• In collaboration with Finance, track Sustainability Fund spending on a monthly basis and ensure that the funds are distributed, tracked, and reported in an effective and transparent manner
• Work with partners to quantify impacts resulting from sustainability fund activities (i.e. hours volunteered, number of children taught, number of trees planted, etc.)
• Report global achievements of sustainability fund internally to HO Sustainability, and share select highlights with PR for external communication.
Marketing and Public Relations
• Share highlights of Sustainability Fund projects to local PR Manager.
• Support local PR Manager to post sustainability related content on all channels on a regular basis (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest), specifically on #SustainableSunday
• Support local PR manager to assist in writing sustainability content for the external and internal newsletters (i.e. MUI’s Blue Green Laamu monthly newsletter, Six Senses newsletters)
• Provide guidance to local PR team on their accurate and eloquent description of sustainability-related projects for travel partners, agencies, FAM trips, journalists, etc.
• Manage collection and reporting of property’s Sustainable Performance Indicators from relevant departments, and provide timely delivery to HO Sustainability each month.
• Assist the GM in the development of annual CAPEX budgets
• Request supplies and equipment as needed through Materials Control (MC)
• Coordinate team attendance and vacation periods and enter into Fusion
• Participate in Six Senses Global Sustainability Team meetings and relay information to resort departments as appropriate.
• Attend daily morning HOT briefings
• Standard workweek is 8 hours a day, 6 days a week (start/stop times may vary depending on resort needs). Host expected and required to work evenings as needed to successfully execute role.
• Domestic and regional travel as required.
• This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities. Job descriptions are dynamic and change depending on organizational requirements and external factors.
• Holistic understanding of sustainability principles, environmental issues, general scientific knowledge
• Passionate about people, the environment, and thinking outside the box to generate new ideas.
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and creative communication skills
• Demonstrated skill in engaging and motivating the hearts and minds of people of all ages and backgrounds to create change
• Collaboration, teamwork, problem solving, self-motivated, excellent time management skills
• Positive attitude, good interpersonal skills, sound judgement, professionalism
• Ability to quantify and analyze basic KPIs (energy, carbon, water, waste, etc.)
• Basic administrative, reporting skills, and competency in Outlook, Microsoft Office, Google Suite
• Familiar with agricultural principles on a garden, farm, or permaculture center
• Knowledge of homemade, natural products, alchemy/apothecary, traditional medicine/remedies
• Have developed and/or delivered education materials to children, young adults, or marginalized groups, such as women
• Experience in development work, public health/sanitation, funding and managing project timelines and outputs
• Graphic design, photo/video editing, social media content creation
• Event planning, logistics coordination
• Comfortable with remote living
• Loves the ocean
• 1-2 years’ experience working in sustainability-related role
• 1-2 years’ management experience overseeing a team
• Some resort, hospitality, and/or facility management experience preferred.