In this role you will be working in our global Portfolio Management team, responsible for overseeing the coordination of offers and the delivery of carbon credits and renewable energy certificates (RECs). You will work closely with our international Portfolio team and the Australian Key Account Management team to support the successful acquisition of business opportunities with our Australian clients.
As a key component of a small local team, you will be required to be agile to respond to varying day-to-day needs. You will coordinate with our Projects team to support their operations in Australia as a local contact point, and liaise with the Marketing team for collateral creation regarding Australian projects and products. You will be responsible for coordinating both the trading of issued carbon credits/RECs and the acquisition of new projects generating carbon credits in Australia.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
- Identify, evaluate and purchase carbon credits and RECs, including associated contract, financial and compliance management.
- Construct project portfolios from the available projects worldwide that suit Australian clients’ requirements
- Support the Account Managers with written carbon and REC proposals
- Act as the local contact point for Australian and New Zealand based suppliers, project owners and landholders seeking to develop projects in Australia, as well as facing clients as a project expert when required
- Maintain and develop a network of suppliers of Australian carbon and RECs
- Work closely with suppliers to obtain the best projects at the best prices, and to identify and develop customised solutions for clients
- Provide information about products, projects, and processes to clients and staff, to support sales and marketing activities.
- Collaborate with the Project Management team to optimise deliveries of projects developed by South Pole Group
- Operate local registry accounts to facilitate carbon and REC acquisition and deliveries
- Manage and enhance systems for project information capture, storage and internal dissemination
- Understand client needs, gather market intelligence and identify industry trends
- Present from time to time at internal and external public speaking opportunities, as well as representing South Pole at conferences and industry events.
- Knowledge of carbon and/or renewable energy products and markets
- Experience/understanding of Australian and international project-based carbon standards, technologies and project development processes
- Experience/understanding of global and Australian carbon policies and market drivers (e.g. Paris Agreement, CORSIA, Emissions Reduction Fund, Land Restoration Fund)
- Experience/understanding of Australian and global renewable energy certificate products and markets Proven commercial acumen and ability to negotiate purchase contracts
- At least 3 years experience in environmental markets or similar roles
- Proven ability to build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, clients and team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including ability to translate technical information appropriately for non-technical audiences (clients, sales team, website, etc)
- Strong presentation skills for both internal and external public speaking opportunities
- Investigative and creative skills, e.g. researching new products and new markets with a view to creating new or enhanced solutions for clients.
- Legal / contract management skills preferred
- Excellent analytical skills including high level of financial literacy, numeracy and competency with Excel.
- Experience working with information management systems (CRM, accounting, databases, etc).
- Demonstrated belief in and commitment to climate change mitigation and broader sustainability objectives.
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant field (e.g. environmental management, sustainability) or a broader field with evidence of a focus on environmental or sustainability issues (e.g. engineering, business/management/finance) is preferred.
What we offer:
At South Pole, we care about our employees as much as we care about the planet. South Pole is not just an employer, we are a Team. South Pole does not just offer people a job, we offer you a career. By joining our team, you will find strong purpose and deep meaning in everything you do. You will have the chance to make a real difference for our clients and for the planet, working alongside a passionate team of like-minded colleagues, while building your knowledge/skills and developing your career in a fun, dynamic, international and fast-growing organisation.
We’re a planet of 7.5 billion unique and different people. We all have a contribution to make; South Pole is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status or disability. Our recruitment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.