Senior Media Relations Manager
Start Date: A.S.A.P., 40 hrs p/w. (€ 48,000.- / € 52,000.- gross per year on full time basis)
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contract: 1 year initially – extension by mutual consent
Position summary and job purpose
GRI is looking for an experienced and savvy Senior Media Relations Manager to step up our outreach to global business and sustainability media. The ideal candidate combines a passion for sustainability with a well-rounded media relations skill set and does not stop until an interview is secured or the prefect story is published.
In 2017 GRI launched a new vision and mission (see below) and an updated strategy which includes enhanced communications. GRI’s communications team plays a critical role in further strengthening our position as the leading standard setter for sustainability reporting, driving the uptake of the GRI Standards and supporting the commercial activities of our social enterprise.
Strong, pro-active media relations is one of the cornerstones of our communications work. Our new colleague will not only be responsible for developing and implementing detailed action plans but will also be challenged to continuously improve our media outreach strategy.
The role is part the communications team and reports directly to the Chief Communications Officer.
- Continuously improve the overall media strategy and implement media campaigns to support key GRI objectives, products and services
- Build relations with editors and journalists of key journals, newspapers, websites, and others in key mainstream, trade, and national media
- Design and deliver specific media outreach activities in support of key GRI projects, such as report launches, country campaigns, or VIP visits
- Counsel colleagues in the communication team and in the broader organization about the most effective use of earned media
- Pitch stories
- Draft compelling copy for media releases, media advisories, letters to the editor, op-eds, and short journal or news articles
- Monitor and analyze media coverage regarding sustainability and reporting and regarding GRI globally, to identify risks and opportunities to leverage GRI’s messages
- Work hand in glove with our Social Media Specialist
- Assist senior GRI representatives in their global media outreach
- Ensure all relevant members of the GRI staff and, governance bodies are media trained
Key competencies / Requirements
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience as a media relations / communications manager
- A track record of relationships with business and CSR/Sustainability specialty media
- Proven ability to draft compelling stories and pitch them successfully
- Fluent written and spoken English at mother tongue level (non-negotiable); one or more other languages would be an advantage
- Proven excellence in written and verbal communications
- University level training in journalism, or public relations or equivalent professional experience
- Creativity and energy to successfully execute an internationally focused media relations program crossing national and language boundaries
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain an effective balance in short and long-term tasks (i.e., execute a long-term strategic media relations plan, yet react to opportunistic moments in the immediate term)
- Affinity with the mission and vision of GRI and at a minimum basic knowledge of key sustainability issues
GRI is an international independent organization that has pioneered corporate sustainability reporting since 1997. GRI helps businesses, governments and other organizations understand and communicate the impact of business on critical sustainability issues such as climate change, human rights, corruption and many others.
With thousands of reporters in over 90 countries, GRI provides the world’s most trusted and widely used standards on sustainability reporting, enabling organizations and their stakeholders to make better decisions based on information that matters. Currently, over 40 countries and regions reference GRI in their policies. GRI is built upon a unique multi-stakeholder principle, which ensures the participation and expertise of diverse stakeholders in the development of its standards. GRI’s mission is to empower decision-makers everywhere, through its standards and multi-stakeholder network, to take action towards a more sustainable economy and world.
Our Vision: A thriving global community that lifts humanity and enhances the resources on which all life depends.
Our Mission: To empower decisions that create social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone.
How to apply
Interested candidates, eligible to live and work in the Netherlands, are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit an application is 12.00 noon (CET), Monday 1st October 2018. GRI appreciates all expressions of interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
GRI, Attn. Human Resources
Visitors’ address: Barbara Strozzilaan 336, 1083 HN, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)20 531 00 00 www.globalreporting.org