Posting Title: Senior Manager, Global Operations – Asia & Oceania
Location: New York City, then Bangkok, Thailand
Contract Dates: One year contract, ideally: 1 March 2019 – 29 February 2020. With possibility of renewal / extension
Contract Type: Independent Contractor with the UN Global Compact
Please note: While this position will eventually be based in Bangkok, kindly note that the successful candidate will be required to spend the first 8-12 months, possibly longer, in role at the UN Global Compact headquarters in New York City for onboarding.
The UN Global Compact is the largest corporate sustainability initiative in the world. With over 12,000 participants in more than 100 countries, the UN Global Compact has an unparalleled global reach and the exclusive opportunity to activate a diverse network of business, investors, Government, UN and civil society stakeholders to advance sustainable development.
Central to the UN Global Compact’s strategy are more than 70 Global Compact Networks around the world, including Networks covering countries across Asia and Oceana region. Global Compact Networks are in close collaboration with the Global Compact Office in New York working with participants in their respective countries, challenging and supporting businesses in incorporating the UN Global Compact’s Ten Principles into their strategies and operations, and in taking action to deliver on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Senior Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of the strategy Asia and Oceana, leads the support for Global Compact Networks across this region, and facilitates collaboration with UN country teams, governments and other key stakeholders. He/she will work closely with colleagues responsible for programs, participant engagement and outreach, communications, finance as well as government and UN relations, and must have exceptionally strong communication and collaboration skills in English, have experience in corporate sustainability, a flair for organizational design and governance, and be an effective project manager and user of digital tools and applications. Knowledge of Thai is an advantage, although not required.
The Senior Manager will report directly to the Chief of Global Operations based in Copenhagen.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- §Stay on top of business and sustainability trends and developments across the region
- §Lead the development and coordinate the implementation of a UN Global Compact strategy for the Asia and Oceanaregion.
- §Lead the Global Compact Office’s communication and collaboration with Networks across the region
- §Facilitate collaboration between Networks across the region and relevant teams in the Global Compact Office with a view to deliver impactful programs and partnerships for UN Global Compact signatories and participants
- §Work closely with communications, media & marketing colleagues to deliver materials and resources required to engage across the region
- §Support Global Compact Networks and colleagues in Outreach and Engagement with respect to recruitment and participant relations
- §Work closely with UN and government relations teams to facilitate stronger collaboration and partnerships between Global Compact Networks and UN country teams as well as with national governments.
- §Support UN country teams and regional offices of UN organizations across the region in engaging strategically with companies and investors
- §Coordinate capacity building of Networks across the region across topics such as good governance, strategic planning, participant relations, and fundraising
- §Track, monitor, and report on the performance and impact of Networks in the region
- §Represent the UN Global Compact at various national and regional events
- §Other duties and projects, as applicable
- §Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours; acts without consideration of personal gain; resists undue political pressure in decision-making; does not abuse power or authority; stands by decisions that are in the Organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular; and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
- §Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; and remains calm in stressful situations.
- §Respect for Diversity: Works effectively with people from all backgrounds; treats all people with dignity and respect; treats men and women equally; shows respect for and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates this understanding in daily work and decision-making; examines own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses; and does not discriminate against any individual or group.
§Professionalism:Knowledge of relevant UN Global Compact issue areas and workstreams; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
§Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
§Accountability:Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; and takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
§Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- §Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, social sciences, hospitality, management and/or law or a related field.
- §8-10 years of relevant work experience, including working with or in the private sector on corporate sustainability issues
- §Fluency in English. Knowledge of Thai is an advantage.
- §Proven ability to deliver presentations to senior leadership of businesses and organizations.
- §Strategic thinker with strong leadership, problem-solving and project management skills.
- §Excellent organizational, planning, analytical, written and verbal skills.
- §Super-user of various digital tools and applications
- §Strict attention to detail and effective time management skills
- §Highly service-oriented, flexible, and collaborative team player.
- §Takes initiative, able to work independently.
- §Competitive remuneration
- §Interested? Please send your resume/CV to: HRInquiries@unglobalcompact.org
- §Please indicate “Senior Manager – Asia & Oceana” in the email subject line and include your compensation expectations