Ember has been working on addressing electricity transition challenges in key Asean countries and we are now looking for an experienced energy policy analyst with a great network to help amplify our impact across the region. You will take charge in developing research insights to inform power sector policies and empower advocacies to accelerate clean electricity transitions in South East Asia.
You will deliver on Ember’s vision and objectives in close coordination with a new SE Asia Electricity Policy analyst, as well as other electricity policy experts within Ember’s Asia team and other national energy experts across the region.
Ember is committed to providing a great place to work at a competitive salary. We invest in our staff, offer flexible working conditions and pride ourselves on being an open and collaborative workplace. We’re a friendly and supportive team, and all passionately committed to addressing the climate crisis.
We are looking for a passionate electricity policy analyst to support our research and advocacy programme in the Asean countries. You will help focus the minds of stakeholders in the region on the policies needed to achieve a much-expanded clean electricity system in the next two decades.
This role is a unique opportunity to influence one of the most important policy areas of this decade in the Asean region. It builds upon Ember’s previous work in Asia tracking and commenting on electricity transition, which already had an impact in countries across Asia.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have a proven record of producing compelling data-led research or analysis and have a strong understanding of South East Asia’s energy policy landscape.
This is a remote role, working with a pan-Asian team. We are also hiring an analyst at this time.
- Grow Ember’s ongoing research and advocacy work in Asean countries to help accelerate their transition to clean electricity.
- Build Ember’s presence in SE Asia as a credible energy policy think tank
- Produce compelling, data-led research, short media-ready analysis and commentary for publication and internal use
- Build and maintain an influential network of external stakeholders and experts to maximise impact on the wider policy debate and explore opportunities for collaboration
- Work with the Asia Programme Lead and a new SE Asia Electricity Policy analyst to develop a plan to grow the team in the region
- Work with colleagues from the Asia policy team to periodically evaluate the Asia team strategy and objectives
- Act as Ember’s main media spokesperson in Asean countries and work with the comms team to build relationships with journalists, write opinion articles and respond to media requests
- Minimum 7 years of experience in SE Asia, working in a research or an analytical role on energy transition
- Proven experience in creating policy impact in Asean region through data-led research and strategic comms-based advocacy
- Experience of independently developing reports, short media-ready analyses, policy briefs and op-eds for news outlets on clean electricity transition in Asean countries as well strong verbal communication skills
- Experience of engaging with national journalists, presenting research work in webinars and deliberating on energy transition in panel discussions
- An established network in SE Asian organisations (regional, national and/or multilateral); ability to develop and maintain new relationships with policy-makers, government departments, think-tanks and campaign groups
- Passionate about reducing global greenhouse gas emissions
- Self-motivated, able to work independently; able to multitask; set priorities and meet deadlines with limited direction while working remotely
- Fluent in English and at least one main SE Asian national language
- A natural collaborator with a disposition to work generously with colleagues from different time zones
Nice to have
- Experience with power sector modelling
- Understanding and vision for 1.5 degree pathway for Asean countries
- Fascination with data and data visualisation
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Contract: Full-time (but only working 9 days every fortnight with no reduction in pay), permanent subject to a 3-month probationary period. For employees based outside of the UK, a local payroll contract is available, dependent on the country
Location: Remote, based in the Asean member countries
Further benefits: We offer a competitive benefits package, including:
- We operate a nine-day fortnight meaning our full-time staff are given every other Friday off work with no reduction in pay
- 25 days holiday, plus UK bank holidays (unless local statutory minimums are higher) and for each year that you’re part of the team at Ember you’ll receive an additional day of holiday, up to a maximum of 5 additional days.
- Generous paid maternity and paternity leave
- Flexible working conditions, including the opportunity for part-time work and home working.
- Access to a local working space can also be arranged for employees
- Access to a counselling service
- Funding and allocated time for your training and development
- Paid volunteer day
- Two paid days off to enable low carbon travel
- Season Ticket loan
Publish your content with EB Premium
It's not about how many you reach. It's about who. Get your news, events, jobs and thought leadership seen by those who matter to you.