In this position, you will lead efforts to secure the financial resources and partnerships needed to advance the objectives and goals of WRI China. You will support and grow a current $4M annual budget and advance WRI China’s most critical projects and relationships. You will also oversee prospect research, donor stewardship, proposal writing, and internal project framing and be directly responsible for all donor relations managed through the WRI China office. You will be responsible for guiding fundraising efforts with foundations, corporations, bilateral and multilateral donors, and high net worth individuals with a high degree of cross-organizational coordination with WRI’s Global office and other international offices. You will be an integral member of the China management team and of WRI’s global fundraising network.
Funding Strategy & Proposal Development (60%)
- Develop and implement a fundraising strategy that consistently brings in significant resources (six- and seven-figure commitments) to WRI China’s program priorities.
- Identify and research new major prospective donors in the six- and seven-figure range.
- Maintain and update WRI China’s fundraising pipeline of opportunities and proposals, and fundraising contacts and engagement in Salesforce database.
- Directly support and guide WRI China Director and other WRI China project leads in donor cultivation efforts including engaging WRI China’s Advisory Committee members, arranging influential meetings, leading meeting preparations, and reporting out on donor meetings with an emphasis on enhancing relationship-building efforts.
- Play a leadership role in coordination and contribution to the development of complex, multi-team proposals in the six and seven-figure range.
- Guide the development of concept notes, proposals, proposal budgets and other related materials as needed to advance prospect engagement for securing a gift.
- Engage in direct fundraising and proposal pitches, meetings, and donor cultivation efforts.
- Work closely with WRI’s Global Development team on approaches to institutional donors and with other fundraisers across the network, and in the development of coordinated fundraising strategies.
- Monitor WRI China’s fundraising progress and share regular updates with WRI China Executive team and other parts of the WRI network as needed.
Donor Stewardship and Internal Coordination (40%)
- Coordinate, develop and maintain regular outreach and communications with current and prospective program donors and partners
- Ensure appropriate and timely follow-up on donor requests. Participate in institutional efforts to enhance relationships with current donors
- Establish and maintain strong and effective relationships with WRI staff around the world to collaborate on prospect strategies
- Encourage use of and serve as point person for WRI China on Salesforce database in relation to fundraising activities
- Lend expertise in development and delivery of training materials and presentations for WRI China staff on fundraising best practices, prospect research, proposal development and donor stewardship
- Support annual and multi-year project planning efforts to ensure the development of aligned projects, compelling offers, and early engagement on fundraising priorities and opportunities
- Serve as the point person for WRI China with the Global Development team
- Liaise across peer organizations to identify opportunities, avoid conflicts, and seek best practice guidance
- Support the WRI China Director in engaging WRI China’s Advisory Committee as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Minimum of seven years of external fundraising experience, preferably in a large, international organization.
- Accomplished, sophisticated, and results-oriented fundraiser with technical and international fundraising experience. Successfully built working relationships with senior program officers in the foundations, corporations, and/or government sectors.
- Prior engagement on environmental and/or international development focus area is highly desirable.
- Exceptional writing, editing and proofreading skills; ability to translate technical information into lay language; experience in preparing complex and detailed proposals for various donor audiences.
- Proven track record of securing six and seven-figure grants from foundations, foreign governments and/or multi-lateral organizations.
- Experience engaging with high net worth individuals and/or boards
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to diplomatically and effectively communicate in person, writing, and by phone across many cultures
- Demonstrated ability to effectively guide peers and directors though strategy conception to concrete proposed deliverables
- Ability to navigate complex institutional environments and adapt to changing priorities
- Experience working in international team environment a plus; must be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment, with a diverse staff, across multiple time zones
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required, fluency in Mandarin highly desirable
- Understanding of compliance requirements of China’s Overseas NGO law in relation to fundraising activities
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint and Salesforce a plus
How to Apply
Cover letter and resume required. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs/ to be considered.