JOB TITLE: Regional Manager, Corporate and Supply Chain
DEPARTMENT: HSI Farm Animal Welfare and Protection
DATE: September 2020
General purpose of the position:
Humane Society International, one of the world’s leading animal protection organisations, is seeking an independent consultant to advance our efforts to improve the welfare of animals raised for food, especially by promoting a switch to cage-free production systems for egg-laying hens in the Southeast Asia/Pacific region. The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the on-the-ground point person for implementing the organisation’s farm animal welfare campaign.
This is a consultancy position; contracts are generally on a year-by-year basis.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Continue building HSI’s database of food industry stakeholders, including food retailers, manufacturers, restaurant groups, food service providers, hospitality companies, industry associations and producers in the Southeast Asia/Pacific region, including email contacts for decision-makers at these companies, and identify opportunities for collaboration and adoption of animal welfare procurement policies.
- Build relationships and serve as a primary resource on farm animal welfare issues with food companies, financial institutions, government agencies and other decision-makers, through regular email communication and in-person meetings.
- Work with entities in the food and hospitality industries on the adoption and implementation of cage-free egg policies for their supply chains.
- Assist in organising events such as technical workshops for egg producers on cage-free egg production and corporate animal welfare roundtables for food company representatives throughout Asia, including recruiting speakers and encouraging attendance by relevant stakeholders.
- Liaise and maintain relationships with HSI’s technical experts.
- Raise the profile of HSI and farm animal protection issues in the media. Represent HSI in media interviews and industry events, including public speaking engagements at seminars, conferences and meetings.
- Coordinate regularly with HSI Farm Animal Welfare lead at headquarters and provide strategic input as needed.
- Submit bi-weekly written reports on programme activities.
- Perform related activities as needed to further producers’ transition to cage-free egg farming systems.
Desired minimum qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and experience:
- College degree or equivalent work experience;
- A minimum of three years of experience working on food or farm animal related corporate policy or public policy or a related field;
- Experience working with media and/or in fundraising;
- Grassroots outreach/advocacy and/or campaign experience preferred.
Necessary knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong organisational, planning, and time management skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills and experience with public speaking;
- Knowledge of farm animal protection issues a plus;
- Must be able and willing to travel throughout Asia as needed;
- Ability to work independently, and remotely;
- Oral and written fluency in English;
- Oral and written fluency in other Asian language(s) (Thai, Korean, Bahasa Melayu) a plus.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to Meg Roggensack at email@example.com.