Proforest is seeking a motivated and organised professional experienced in sustainability and natural resources management to join its growing team in Southeast Asia (SEA).
Proforest is a dynamic non-profit organisation with global presence that has established itself as a leader in the development and implementation of sustainable production and sourcing of natural resources including a range of agricultural commodities.
We work at every stage of the supply chain, from production and processing, through to purchasing and investment. Our more than 15 years of experience covers major commodities such as oil palm, soy, sugarcane, timber, pulp & paper, rubber and beef at a range of scales that includes smallholders and local communities through to multinational businesses. We focus on the opportunities for conservation and social benefits within the production landscape, and never lose sight of the need for pragmatic and workable practices. More information on Proforest is available at www.proforest.net
The position is an exciting opportunity to take an executive role in the management and delivery of Proforest’s consultancy services in Southeast Asia, and respond to the rapidly growing demand for Proforest’s services in the area of sustainable forestry and agricultural commodities. Based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the post will involve managing and/or participating in a range of projects; and business development and coordination of the agricultural and forestry commodities service area; particularly in relation to agricultural production, sourcing and supply-chain management. This includes providing clients with policy advice, research, training, audits and other services, tailored to their needs. Recent clients include the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), Unilever, Ikea, Nestle, Shell, Cargill, IOI Loders Croklaan and Musim Mas. The post will involve international travel and fieldwork, particularly in the SEA region.
- Manage and deliver projects (consultancy services) for clients. This includes proposal writing, budgeting, project implementation and reporting
- Maintain a clear understanding of the current policy and strategic factors relating to the sustainable management and sourcing of forestry and agricultural commodities
- Build and maintain relationships with key actors such as sustainability initiatives (e.g. the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil, Forest Stewardship Council etc.), support agencies, civil society and other stakeholders who have an interest in the sustainable production and sourcing of forestry and agricultural commodities
- Contribute significantly to the broader functioning of the Proforest team, including participation in management processes and support for the planning and delivery of other services.
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills:
- Tertiary level (Masters or equivalent) qualification in a relevant discipline (e.g. natural resources management, social sciences, economics, agriculture, forestry). For Bachelors level holders, additional experience requirements will need to be met
- Experience of working in, or closely with, international forestry and agricultural supply chains
- At minimum 5 years relevant work experience, at least 2 of which in the SEA region
- Strong leadership and project management skills (including excellent time-management, problem-solving and organisational abilities)
- Highly developed interpersonal and team-working skills, as well as proven ability to operate in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Bahasa Malaysia including oral presentation and high-quality report writing
- Practical experience of working in agricultural or forestry commodities production and supply chain in the SEA region
- Experience and/or knowledge related to sustainability standards, auditing, and certification, in the context of natural resource management (forestry, agriculture, mining, fisheries)
- Experience in consultation and engagement with various stakeholders including large companies, small and medium enterprises, NGOs, financing institutions, government aid agencies, smallholders and local communities
- Familiarity with relevant tools and methodologies related to the sustainable production of agricultural and forestry commodities, such as the High Conservation Value (HCV) approach, carbon stock assessments and Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC).
- Fluency in additional languages relevant to the region particularly Bahasa Indonesia or Mandarin.
- Proven ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Send your CV, a cover letter, and your salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: 14th September 2018
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 21st September 2018
Proforest is an equal opportunity employer.