Do you have an interest in the intersection of climate change and business and investment? Do you have a strong corporate or financial law or litigation background? Join our new Singapore team as a Law and Policy Advisor and help us use the law creatively and effectively to protect people and planet.
Asia is particularly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. It is also uniquely positioned, as the main driver of global growth and a hub for innovation, to address the challenges climate change presents and capture the opportunities of the net zero transition. Corporate and financial law can be powerful drivers of the necessary climate action. You will work with governments, the private sector and civil society to embed climate change in regulatory, policy, business and investment decisions.
ClientEarth is an international environmental legal organisation with a unique approach – a team of lawyers and policy experts using the power of the law to protect people and planet. We work to provide practical solutions to the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
Our Asia Climate and Energy Programme uses law, backed by science and economics, to accelerate the transition to a net zero economy and limit the worst impacts of climate change. As Law and Policy Advisor (Corporate / Finance), you will be part of a vibrant and expanding global team seeking to align law, policy, investment and business strategy with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
You will be a founding member of ClientEarth’s new Singapore office. We expect the Singapore-based legal team to grow to at least six in the first year of operation. We are recruiting for up to two Law and Policy Advisor (Corporate / Finance) roles — ideally one senior and one mid-level position.
Meet your manager
In this role, you will be managed by our Head of Asia Climate and Energy, Peter Barnett. Peter joined ClientEarth in London in 2018 and will relocate to Singapore to lead our new office and our expanding climate and energy work in Asia. He is a leading expert on the role of corporate law in driving greater sustainability in business and investment decisions. Before joining ClientEarth, Peter specialised in international arbitration and commercial and public law litigation at corporate law firms in London and New Zealand. Peter holds an LLM from Harvard Law School and an LLB (Hons) and BCom (Finance) from the University of Otago. He is dual-qualified in New Zealand (non-practising) and England and Wales.
- Research and analysis of corporate and financial law and regulation requiring disclosure and management of climate-related financial risks and opportunities in jurisdictions across Asia
- Legal and judicial capacity building on corporate and financial law and regulation as it applies to climate change
- Working closely with our communications team to produce written and oral communication for a wide variety of government, private sector and civil society audiences
- Participating in formal and informal forums and groups and representing ClientEarth’s thinking and work
- Engaging institutional investors on investor engagement with companies on climate governance, disclosure and decarbonisation strategies
- Identifying opportunities for using corporate and financial law and regulation to drive climate ambition and action and accelerate the net zero transition across Asia
- Supporting local partners in corporate and financial law strategies across Asia
- Law degree or equivalent
- Postgraduate degree in law, business or another relevant discipline (desirable)
- Relevant legal professional qualification
- Legal professional qualification in Singapore or another jurisdiction in Asia (desirable)
- Significant corporate, finance and/or commercial litigation experience in a contentious or non-contentious role in private practice, government or in-house
- Experience working across multiple jurisdictions in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interest in the intersection of climate change and business and investment
ClientEarth is also recruiting for a Law and Policy Advisor (Banking / Green Finance) on our jobs portal. If you are interested in being considered for both roles, we encourage you to apply separately for both. Applying for both will not put you at a disadvantage in either application.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Singapore.