Do you have an interest in the intersection of climate change and banking and finance? Do you have a strong banking or financial services law, policy, regulatory or litigation background? Join our new Singapore team as a Law and Policy Advisor and help us use the law creatively and effectively to protect people and planet.
Asia is particularly vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. It is also uniquely positioned, as the main driver of global growth and a hub for innovation, to address the challenges climate change presents and capture the opportunities of the net zero transition.
The financial sector faces significant risks from climate change and also plays a central role in steering financial flows and engaging with companies, clients and customers to accelerate the net zero transition. You will work with financial regulators, the financial sector and civil society to drive integration of climate change risks and opportunities into financial sector decision-making across Asia.
ClientEarth is an international environmental legal organisation with a unique approach – a team of lawyers and policy experts using the power of the law to protect people and planet. We work to provide practical solutions to the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
Our Asia Climate and Energy Programme uses law, backed by science and economics, to accelerate the transition to a net zero economy and limit the worst impacts of climate change. As Law and Policy Advisor (Banking / Green Finance), you will be part of a vibrant and expanding global team seeking to align law, policy, investment and business strategy with the goals of the Paris Agreement.
You will be a founding member of ClientEarth’s new Singapore office. We expect the Singapore-based legal team to grow to at least six in the first year of operation. We are recruiting for up to two Law and Policy Advisor (Banking / Green Finance) roles — ideally one senior and one mid-level position.
Meet your manager
In this role, you will be managed by our Head of Asia Climate and Energy, Peter Barnett. Peter joined ClientEarth in London in 2018 and will relocate to Singapore to lead our new office and our expanding climate and energy work in Asia. He is a leading expert on the role of corporate and financial law in driving greater sustainability in business and investment decisions. Before joining ClientEarth, Peter specialised in international arbitration and commercial and public law litigation at corporate law firms in London and New Zealand. Peter holds an LLM from Harvard Law School and an LLB (Hons) and BCom (Finance) from the University of Otago. He is dual-qualified in New Zealand (non-practising) and England and Wales.
- Research and analysis of banking and financial law, policy and regulation requiring disclosure and management of climate-related financial risks and opportunities or climate-aligned public financing in jurisdictions across Asia
- Engaging with the financial sector and regulators on climate governance, disclosure, and financed emission reduction strategies
- Legal and judicial capacity building on banking and financial law, policy and regulation as it applies to climate change
- Working closely with our communications team to produce written and oral communication for a wide variety of government, private sector and civil society audiences
- Participating in formal and informal forums and groups and representing ClientEarth’s thinking and work
- Preparing responses to consultations by governments and regulators
- Developing strategies for using banking and financial law, policy and regulation to catalyse shifts in financial flows to climate change mitigation and adaptation, prevent greenwashing in finance and generally drive climate ambition and action in the financial sector across Asia
- Supporting local partners in banking and financial law, policy and regulatory strategies across Asia
- Law degree or equivalent
- Postgraduate degree in law, business, or another relevant discipline (desirable)
- Relevant legal professional qualification
- Legal professional qualification in Singapore or another jurisdiction in Asia (desirable)
- Significant banking or finance law, policy, regulation and / or litigation experience in a contentious or non-contentious role in private practice, government, or in-house
- Experience working across multiple jurisdictions in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interest in the intersection of climate change and banking and finance
ClientEarth is also recruiting for a Law and Policy Advisor (Corporate / Finance) on our jobs portal. If you are interested in being considered for both roles, we encourage you to apply separately for both. Applying for both will not put you at a disadvantage in either application.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Singapore.