Job Purpose and Background
Are you looking for a role that combines your experience in the financial sector and your personal ethics? Do you care about preserving our planet’s Forests?
We are seeking a financially experienced account manager to join us in our global multi-award-winning investor team and wider team in Hong Kong. You will build relationships with key investors to disseminate environmental information particularly focusing on issues concerning Forests and explain how this can be integrated into the investment management process. You will have a passion for the environment and feel comfortable communicating with investors, banks and integrated financial institutions.
We are looking for someone who has experience working in the financial sector but is ready for a new challenge working for an ethical employer. You will be based at CDP Hong Kong and focus on engagement with financial institutions in the Southeast Asia region to increase transparency and awareness to stop financing deforestation.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$96 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts.
About CDP’s forests program
CDP’s forests program works to remove commodity driven deforestation from corporate value chains to effectively contribute to a below 2degree, water secure world; and to decouple deforestation from forest risk commodity production. CDP’s work on forests was launched in 2014 and now boasts the backing of 525 financial institutions with over $96 trillion in assets. The program provides critical forests related data from the world’s largest corporations that buy, sell or trade key forests risk commodities (cattle products, palm oil, soy products and timber). The data is used to inform the global market place on investment risk and commercial opportunity, and to catalyse action, supporting companies in their efforts to remove deforestation from their supply chains.
Please visit www.cdp.net or follow us @CDP to find out more.
Key responsibilities include:
- Target and develop relationships with key investors and banks in the Asia Pacific region to support CDP’s corporate disclosure (of environmental data via questionnaire) request as signatories and members
- Work with banks within the South East Asia to increase transparency through annual reporting on lending practices and policies
- Develop and conduct training, capacity building and other programs for financial institutions, with a view to increasetransparency within the region to stop financing deforestation
- Drive adoption of publicly available forests safeguard policies among banks within the regional finance sector
- Organize workshops and annual launch with the Indonesian central bank, financial regulators, commercial banks and other stakeholders within the region to promote transparency and reporting of environmental data
- Develop a series of best practice case studies to be disseminated amongst financial sector stakeholders
- Remain abreast of investment trends in environmental, social and corporate governance and feed information back to CDP management and the wider investor team.
- Provide feedback from financial institutions and investors on CDP’s products and services.
- Represent CDP as a speaker at relevant financial and other conferences, webinars, etc.
Essential skills and experience:
- Exceptional relationship and rapport building skills to develop high level connections with banks within the South East Asia region to increase awareness of CDP’s investor program, financial markets and environmental disclosure work.
- Strong communication skills and ability to draw key messages out of complex research and communicate research findings to both internal and external audiences including investors.
- An understanding of capital markets and the investment management industry with a passion for sustainable investment.
- Experience liaising with contacts at pension funds, insurance companies and investment managers.
Desirable characteristics and skills:
- A demonstrated interest in how deforestation and other environmental concerns relate to material business risks and opportunities;
- A desire to take ownership and responsibility for their work;
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills and a desire to seek out speaking and networking opportunities;
- The ability to deliver excellent results under pressure and take pride in working to a high standard;
- A flexible but diligent working style, with the ability to work effectively in a small team and remotely with colleagues in CDP’s global offices;
- Ability to interact convincingly with people at different levels of seniority and from different cultural backgrounds;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the financial markets, preferably in a relationship building role and within Southeast Asian financial institutions;
- A passion for integrating environmental issues into the mainstream investment process;
- Willingness to travel.
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written). Fluency in a Southeast Asian language (Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, etc)is an advantage.
This is a full-time role for a fixed term contract until February 2021 based at CDP’s Hong Kong office reporting to the Global Head of Investor Initiatives and the Director of CDP Hong Kong.
Salary and benefits: salary is dependent on experience however our starting salary is 380,000HKD per annum. As well as this we provide an annual discretionary bonus, 24 days holidays+ public holidays, the opportunity to work flexibly and many others.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in Hong Kong.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to email@example.com with ‘Account Manager, Investor’ in the subject. The deadline is July 29, 2019.