Are you looking for a role that combines your experience in the financial sector and your personal ethics? Do you care about preserving our planet’s forests?
We are seeking an account manager with experience working in Southeast Asia’s finance sector to join our global, multi-award-winning investor and wider teams in Hong Kong. You will build and maintain relationships with key financial institutions in Southeast Asia to raise awareness, build capacity and support a shift to financing that supports sustainable consumption and production.
The work will be focused on issues concerning forests and how forests and land-use due diligence can be integrated into everyday business practices. You will have a passion for the environment and feel comfortable communicating with investors, insurers, banks and integrated financial institutions to increase transparency and awareness to preserve the world’s forests.
The account manager will be based in Hong Kong and have experience working in the financial sector combined with a passion for maintaining biodiversity, mitigating climate change and securing water resources.
CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project) is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$96 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts.
About CDP’s forests programme
CDP’s forests programme works to remove commodity-driven deforestation from corporate value chains to effectively contribute to a below 1.5⁰C, water-secure world; and to decouple deforestation from forest risk commodity production. CDP’s work on forests was launched in 2014 and now boasts the backing of 525 financial institutions with over $96 trillion in assets. The programme provides critical forests related data from the world’s largest corporations that buy, sell or trade key forests risk commodities (cattle products, palm oil, soy products and timber). The data is used to inform the global marketplace on investment risk and commercial opportunity, and to catalyze action, supporting companies in their efforts to remove deforestation from their supply chains.
Key responsibilities include:
- Build and maintain relationships with key financial institutions in the Southeast Asia region to support and disclose through CDP’s corporate disclosure questionnaire.
- Leverage CDP’s investor network and other investors active in the Southeast Asia region to support a transition to more sustainable production and consumption.
- Work with financial institutions within South East Asia to increase transparency through annual reporting on lending practices and policies to drive the transition to deforestation-free capital allocation through investment and ownership activities.
- Develop and conduct training, capacity building with financial institutions to identify deforestation risk in investment and lending portfolios.
- Organize workshops with central banks, financial regulators, commercial banks and other stakeholders within the region to promote transparency, reporting of environmental data and shifting capital to sustainable production systems.
- Input into the development of reports, training and marketing materials to be disseminated amongst financial sector stakeholders.
- Accurately monitor and evaluate activities delivered and their outcomes through the Forests Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning framework to support reporting and ongoing development.
- Contribute to internal capacity development, learning and knowledge sharing to enable lessons learned in Southeast Asia to be implemented in other key geographies including Latin America, China and Europe.
- Keep current in investment trends in environmental, social and corporate governance and feed information back to CDP management and the wider investor team.
- Provide feedback from financial institutions and investors on CDP’s products and services.
- Represent CDP as a speaker at relevant financial and other conferences, webinars, etc.
Essential skills and experience:
- Exceptional relationship and rapport building skills to develop high-level connections with financial institutions in Southeast Asia.
- Strong communication skills and ability to draw key messages out of complex research and communicate research findings to both internal and external audiences including investors.
- Experience in marketing and communicating the aims and objectives of CDP, including the investor programme and environmental disclosure work to a broad range of stakeholders.
- An understanding of capital markets and the investment management industry with a passion for sustainable investment.
- Experience liaising with contacts at pension funds, insurance companies and investment managers.
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written).
Desirable characteristics and skills:
- Interest in how deforestation and other environmental concerns relate to material business risks and opportunities.
- A desire to take ownership and responsibility for their work.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills and a desire to seek out speaking and networking opportunities.
- The ability to deliver excellent results under pressure and take pride in working to a high standard.
- A flexible but diligent working style, with the ability to work effectively in a small team and remotely with colleagues in CDP’s global offices.
- Ability to interact convincingly with people at different levels of seniority and from different cultural backgrounds.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in the financial markets, preferably in a relationship-building role and within Southeast Asian financial institutions.
- A passion for integrating environmental issues into the mainstream investment process.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluency in a Southeast Asian language (Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, etc) is an advantage.
This is a full-time role for a permanent contract based at CDP’s Hong Kong office reporting to the Global Head of Investor Initiatives and the Director of CDP Hong Kong.
Salary and benefits: Salary is dependent on experience however our starting salary is 390,000 HKD per annum. As well as this we provide an annual discretionary bonus, 24 days holidays+ public holidays, the opportunity to work flexibly and many others.
Applicants must be eligible to work legally in Hong Kong.
Before you apply
We’ll only use the information you provide to process your application. For more details on how we use your information, see our applicants privacy notice. By emailing us your CV and covering letter, you are permitting CDP to use the information you have provided for recruitment purposes.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Account Manager, Investor’ in the subject. The deadline is April 09, 2021