About Nexus for Development
Nexus is a key network and finance partner working to make low-carbon clean energy and WASH solutions count toward the Global Goals. We are based in Southeast Asia and collaborate with partners around the world to create and deploy innovative financing tools to scale locally-driven solutions.
A diverse range of organizations are improving people’s lives in the face of poverty and climate change. At Nexus, we connect award-winning organizations with world-leading businesses, donors and investors, inspiring and funding change that maximizes sustainable development outcomes.
Since our formation in 2009 by an alliance of development organizations, our expertise has evolved to offer a range of technical and financial services that support the growth and impact of our partners.
To achieve our mission, Nexus engages with several international actors including:
- Development practitioners (Social enterprises, NGOs)
- Private sector corporations, investors and donors
- Researchers, policy makers and international standards and associations
For more information, visit http://www.nexusfordevelopment.org/
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Commencement date: November / December 2019
Through various debt financing vehicles, each with their own specific mandates, Nexus supports the adoption of low-carbon solutions in the sustainable energy, clean water, and improved sanitation sectors across Southeast Asia. We support the scaling-up of early to growth stage enterprises that deliver positive impacts to both the environment and their communities by providing access to affordable, unsecured debt, typically inaccessible to SMEs in emerging markets.
Nexus seeks a dynamic and driven Investment Analyst to support the fund management activities of our innovative funds, with a focus on growing Nexus’ largest fund, the Pioneer Facility (see our funds summary in the job description). The Investment Analyst will have the opportunity to be a key contributor throughout the deal cycle with the following core responsibilities: 1) financial modeling, 2) sourcing and origination, 3) due diligence, 4) support on loan documentation review and negotiations, and 4) support on portfolio monitoring activities. We have a robust pipeline and the Investment Analyst will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of deals that are at varying stages.
The Investment Analyst will report directly to the Head of Investments and will work closely with the multi-disciplinary funds management team on investments as well as with the operations team on post-investment monitoring.
The Investment Analyst opportunity is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of relevant work experience in corporate finance, asset management, or international development finance. We are seeking candidates with the following qualities:
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving skills
- Financial modeling skills and strong command of MS Excel – able to build, stress-test models, and explain key results
- Developed knowledge of reading and interpreting financial statements
- Experience in investment analysis and corporate finance in emerging or frontier markets is preferred
- Ability to take deals through the investment cycle with experience in portfolio management a plus
- Strong interest in impact investing and up-to-date knowledge on available financing mechanisms and current trends in development finance and start-up investing
- Demonstrated experience in project management. Detail-oriented with high standard of performance
- Self-motivated, driven, and able to work effectively with a high degree of autonomy in a lean, start-up environment. Adaptability and perseverance are key!
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – able to confidently work with a multi-disciplinary team and liaise with investees and co-investors
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Knowledge of other languages (e.g. French, Mandarin, other Asian languages like Khmer) a plus
The opportunity offers:
- Wide ranging experience in a flexible and dynamic environment
- Exposure to impactful enterprises, VCs and other early-stage and/or impact investors, and development partners in Asia
- Opportunity to deep dive into the workings of an impact fund and help promising early stage enterprises to navigate through start-up financing
How to apply
Please click here to process your application. Cover letters submitted should explicitly address how you meet the qualifications with specific examples. Short-listed candidates may be asked to complete a skills assessment exercise.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until October 24, 2019