As the Head of EU projects, you will be responsible for the timely and effective generation and delivery of emission reductions projects as well as management of the full project cycle. Your focus will be in European projects but you will also contribute to projects in other locations when needed. As part of the Projects team, you will build knowledge and capacity, support other team members with project development as well as sourcing and business development. In addition, you will manage a small team of project managers (PMs) based in Europe overseeing the quality check of all deliverables and assessments carried out by the team both in the initial screening and implementation phases.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lead emission reduction projects, especially in Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU), waste management, energy efficiency and renewables amongst other climate mitigation technologies
- Oversee the full project cycle, including project development management and quality checks for proposals and deliverables
- Manage a team of PMs and bridge between them and the Head of Project Development and Director of Portfolio
- Overseeing the client, Project Owner (PO) and DOE (third party independent auditor and certifier) relationship management including invoices, payments and accounting follow ups
- Support Key Account Management and Portfolio teams with tenders and proposal preparation as well as the Marketing team for project info requests
- Control the assigned budget and manage resource at optimum efficiency and effectiveness
- Support team members in other regions with new leads, proposal preparation and project development cycle
- Represent South Pole in public presentations and client meetings, including meeting of commercial or regulatory character beyond technical matters.
- University degree, ideally at Master’s level, in Engineering, Forestry or Natural Resource Management, Environmental Sciences/Management, Geoecology, Sustainability or Climate Change or other relevant disciplines
- More than 7 years work experience in sustainability consulting, climate change mitigation/adaptation or related fields
- Excellent understanding of climate mitigation technologies
- Ability to deal with complexity and problem solving attitude
- Decision making and accountability: although mainly operational in focus, the candidate may provide some strategic input to the function.
- Leadership skills, ability to lead a small team of junior to mid level project managers
- Communication and commercial skills and strong business sense: ability to manage project budgets of at least 200k EUR
- Excellent oral and written skills in English (mother tongue or equivalent) is essential
- Professional proficiency in one of the following languages is of advantage: German, Dutch, French or Spanish
- Proven network in the relevant fields
- National, or holder of a valid required work visa
- Work in a growing global profit for purpose company with a real commitment to sustainability and fighting climate change
- Excellent team spirit, work within a large and international team of sustainability passionate professionals
- A clear career development potential as part of the Projects team