Tara is a new philanthropic initiative in Asia. Tara’s vision is a just and thriving Asia powered by renewable energy. Our mission is to support a diverse group of partners to accelerate Asia’s energy transformation. Tara funds think tanks, civil society, research organisations and other non-state actors, and our mandate includes Southeast Asia, East Asia excluding China, and South Asia excluding India. Tara has a team of 15 people working across the region, including country leads in most of our key focus countries.
Tara is currently hosted at the European Climate Foundation, but with a mandate to localise into an independent regranting foundation in the future, with the strong backing of the ECF and other philanthropic foundations.
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was established in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help Europe foster the development of a low-carbon society and play an even stronger international leadership role to mitigate climate change. The foundation works through several sectoral, cross-cutting and regional initiatives and collaborates with a wide network of partners to advance progress towards this shared goal. The ECF also hosts a number of initiatives with a global outreach.
About the role
Due to the continued growth and diversification of funders, grantees and the programme strategy we have reached a point where we need to increase the operations team to ensure we continue to deliver. Therefore, ECF Tara Platform seeks to appoint a Grants Officer to oversee grant making activities.
As the Grants Officer, you will be a vital part of the Tara Operations team and report to the Tara Operations Manager. You will contribute to the effective and efficient grant making activities in the Southeast Asia region and ensure consistency of approach and compliance with the internal processes. You will serve as liaison between the programmatic work and the ECF finance department as well as Tara grantees & consultants. Tara has a fast-paced work environment that will challenge you to think on your feet, solve problems and juggle competing demands.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in a similar role and will be excited at the prospect of working for a small, dynamic organisation with a mission to solve the climate crisis.
As part of a operations team, you will support an international team of colleagues on all the different stages of grant-making, including:
- Reviewing grantee proposals and creating grant requests in the system;
- Monitor grants through review of grant reporting (financial and narrative reporting) and executing payments in close collaboration with the Finance department;
- Regular checks in the grant management system for outstanding payments, due reports, returned grant agreements, approval limits, payment confirmation letters;
- Handling requests from team related to financial grant procedures and grant management system;
- Support due diligence activities and compliance assistance of financial and operational policies and guidelines;
- Event management;
- Other operational tasks as indicated by line manager.
Experience and competencies
- You have 3-5 years of experience in an administrative, grants management or financial role (the ideal candidate candidate will have some experience in a similar role but this is not required);
- You have genuine interest in climate and the environment;
- You consider yourself to be a completer/finisher and you have strong attention to detail;
- You are a proactive and enthusiastic team player, but also able to work independently and to be discreet;
- You have strong problem-solving skills with a positive, can-do attitude;
- You enjoy juggling various tasks and you are able to prioritise effectively;
- You enjoy working with numbers;
- You are computer literate and are at ease with the MS Office suite and Excel in particular;
- Experience and easiness with IT systems; grant management systems and financial management information systems is a plus;
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, professional level of another Asian language is a plus.
What we can offer you
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international team who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work.
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and country benchmarks.
- Initial one-year contract with strong possibility for renewal.
Preferably Singapore. We will also consider candidates residing in other countries in the Tara region, namely South, Southeast or East Asia (excluding China and India).
The candidate must have a legal permit to reside and work in the country.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload on ECF website:
- short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
- both in English.