Eco-Business is looking for a passionate and motivated journalist with a specialisation in sustainable finance to join our editorial team, which produces daily content on the latest sustainable development news in the region.
This correspondent role requires excellent English writing and speaking skills; any additional Asian language writing capabilities is welcomed. You will work with a wide range of partners from public, private and multilateral organisations across the world.
You must have an excellent news sense and work ethic, a passion for sustainable development topics, work to tight deadlines, be a team player, and possess a keen interest in sustainable development and how it relates to the business world. Design skills and the ability to produce content across multimedia formats will be considered favourably.
Established in 2009, Eco-Business is an independent media and business intelligence company dedicated to sustainable development and ESG performance.
We publish high-quality, trusted news and views in multimedia formats on business and policy developments around the world with a sustainability and ESG-focused lens. Our platform features more than a decade-long archive of information on sustainable development issues in the region and globally.
Its content is categorised and searchable by the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and core sustainability topics, and it also provides a key platform for individuals and organisations to publish jobs, events, press releases, and research.
We provide research and consulting on wide-ranging issues which create strategic value for our partners and clients. We also own and create thought-leadership platforms which inform policymaking, improve business practices and foster collaboration among different sectors.
Over the past decade, our stories and initiatives have gained international recognition and won multiple regional and international awards. We are guided by the sole objective of generating positive impact for society and the environment.
Eco-Business is headquartered in Singapore, with a presence in Manila, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Zurich, New York, and correspondents in major cities across the world.
Our partners include the world’s biggest brands, Fortune 500 companies, MNCs, governments, multilateral institutions, civil society organisations, and philanthropic foundations that are aligned with our values and mission.
Reporting to Eco-Business editors and working with the wider editorial team, the role requires a deep understanding of the financial services industry, capital markets and financial regulation. It also calls for cultivating sources in disparate areas of the industry and distilling complex topics in a language that engages a broad audience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and pitching ideas for interesting and relevant news and feature stories for Eco-Business’s community of readers, and filing assigned stories.
- Writing and producing content across all our formats and platforms on relevant sustainable development issues and trends in the Asia Pacific region.
- Working with the wider Eco-Business team on content production for our thought leadership activities where necessary
- Be up-to-speed on all things ESG and the regulations driving the market
- Regularly break news on sustainable finance across the globe
- Work on insightful and high-impact investigative stories
- Possess exceptional source-building and networking skills
- Social media management, including publishing all your stories on social media, comments moderation, LinkedIn group management, and reader engagement via comments and tweets.
- Sourcing for and republishing opinion pieces and managing content partnerships with other publications where necessary. Assessing incoming editorial pitches for suitability for the Eco-Business Opinions section, and making edits where necessary.
- Providing editorial support for Eco-Business projects and events, including: writing press releases, copy for marketing collaterals, and event reports, proofreading documents and newsletters, social media posts, among others.
- Some travel may be required occasionally.
- A keen interest in sustainability and development issues.
- A university degree in English, Literature, Communication Studies, or any other relevant field.
- At least three years of finance-related journalism experience in the newsroom of an established media outlet, or a freelancer with a portfolio of work published in reputable media outlets.
- A proven track record of identifying and writing creative and original news stories, and successful follow-up to promote them amongst readers and social media users.
- Experience with reporting on sustainable finance
- The ability to multi-task and cope with tight newsroom deadlines.
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy, and strong written and spoken English language skills.
- A proactive attitude and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the willingness to contribute to the success of a growing and dynamic organisation.
- Familiarity with photography and videography gear and production, design and web tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, HTML and CSS, as well as social media and project management tools will be considered favourably
- A clear understanding of the Eco-Business brand and editorial principles.
Only those with the required experience will be shortlisted for interviews. All shortlisted candidates will be required to take a writing and/or video test.
To apply, please send an email with the role as the subject line, covering letter, CV, and links to samples of your work to Monique Armstrong, Operations and HR Manager, at email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application!