Environmental and Social Manager (based in Singapore)
New Forests seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Environmental and Social Manager (ESM) in Asia, responsible for providing support and oversight to ensure New Forests’ Southeast Asian investments meet environmental and social (E&S) requirements and objectives.
New Forests is a real assets investment manager offering leading edge strategies in forestry, land management and conservation. Our business mission is to manage sustainable landscapes for production and conservation and to generate shared value for our clients and the communities where we operate.
Founded in 2005, we offer institutional investors dedicated investment strategies in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia and have AUD 5 billion in assets under management. We manage sustainable timber plantations, forest carbon projects, rural land, and processing infrastructure. New Forests is headquartered in Sydney with offices in San Francisco, Singapore, New Zealand and Melbourne.
New Forests manages an expanding portfolio of investments in tropical Southeast Asia in plantation forestry and rubber. The Singapore team undertakes funds marketing and capital raising, operational management and analytical evaluation of our forestry investments. The ESM will be based in Singapore, reporting to the Director of Investments & Operations in Asia.
The ESM plays an essential role in ensuring New Forests’ E&S; and impact management delivers meaningful investment value as well as generating benefits for the environment and society. This includes an internal focus on ensuring compliance and continual development of New Forests’ approaches to E&S; management and impact investing. It also involves extensive engagement with investment portfolio companies to ensure capacity development and appropriate resourcing for delivery of E&S; objectives. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic operating environment and will be required to routinely travel throughout Southeast Asia, including in remote areas and occasionally with basic conditions.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing oversight covering the E&S; compliance of New Forests’ investments under management in Asia.
- Supporting and developing the local investment management team to meet New Forests’ E&S; criteria.
- Drafting and/or commissioning E&S; baseline studies and Environmental and Social Action Plans (ESAPs) for new investments and monitoring ESAP progress and compliance.
- Coordinating the design and management of grant-funded E&S; projects.
- Managing and developing partnerships and relationships with stakeholders, including NGOs, communities, governments, joint venture partners, and other businesses.
- Supporting the wider operations team in strategic oversight for plantation forestry management, including budgeting, execution, and reporting.
- Identifying and supporting impact driven carbon, biodiversity, and community development opportunities associated with plantation forestry assets.
- Contributing to due diligence of new investments and ensuring that all transaction decisions are supported by appropriate E&S; due diligence documentation.
- Providing support during transactions to ensure that E&S; compliance is incorporated in transaction documents and legal agreements.
- Developing E&S; compliance plans to ensure all investments comply with New Forests’ Responsible Investment Policy and meet all requirements for E&S; management.
- Being an active contributor to development of New Forests’ E&S; programs, including collaboration with corporate sustainability programmes.
- Providing E&S; reporting on all investments in the region, including client and public reporting.
- Contributing to building New Forests’ knowledge base and leadership on Sustainable Landscape Investment.
New Forests seeks candidates with the following criteria:
- Previous operational experience in commercial tropical plantations in emerging markets.
- 5-10 years’ experience in sustainable forestry, including third-party certification, community and social engagement strategies, and land use management.
- Experience working with community and NGO partners (both regional and international) to deliver effective engagement programs.
- Detailed knowledge of and experience in implementing and/or auditing to recognised international E&S; standards including Forest Stewardship Council certification and the International Finance Corporation Performance Standards, knowledge of carbon standards (VCS) would also be highly beneficial.
- Experience with design and implementation of E&S; impact assessments, monitoring, and reporting systems and ESAPs.
- Experience in communication/reporting with clients and prospective clients, including international financial institutions.
- Prior experience in an investment-related business, preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree level qualification in Forestry/Agriculture/Development Studies/Environment or equivalent.
- Skill in MS Office suite of programs and knowledge of GIS packages and GPS.
- Strong verbal and written English language skills. A working knowledge or fluency in Bahasa Malay, Bahasa Indonesia, or major languages within Southeast Asia would be an advantage.
- Willingness and ability to undertake extensive travel, sometimes in challenging conditions.
- An ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with local management teams is essential.
What can we offer?
Our environment is busy and supportive, and the team is professional but relaxed. If you join us you would be joining a growing, fast paced business which is an environmental & sustainable leader in forestry investment. You will also be working with professionals who are passionate about their work!
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, explaining your interest and qualifications for the position in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Phone calls or unsolicited social media messages will not be accepted.
New Forests is an Equal Opportunity Employer.