At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
Smart Power Myanmar Overview
The goal of Smart Power is to advance public-private partnerships that expand the reach of productive power to those who live without sufficient access, and through this, to end energy poverty and transform the livelihoods of hundreds of millions of people.
To address these challenges and accelerate electrification in Myanmar, The Rockefeller Foundation has selected Pact, the largest international non-governmental organization in Myanmar, to establish Smart Power Myanmar (SPM) in collaboration with founding members including the World Bank, USAID, and Yoma Strategic Holdings. Together, Smart Power Myanmar seeks to align and coordinate existing and potential future investments in decentralized renewable energy-based mini-grid systems with the services provided by Smart Power Myanmar—bridging the last mile of rural energy access as the government expands the national grid.
We are looking for outstanding candidates to work with us to design, develop and operate SPM. We seek experts with proven track records in energy and rural development who are passionate about energy as a driver of Myanmar’s economic growth. The SPM team will have exceptional experience and credentials in a range of areas, including but not limited to: policy development and advocacy, investment facilitation, energy project development and demand creation at the community level as well as knowledge and data management.
The Energy Services Senior Director will oversee project development as well as investment and business advisory services. S/he will lead the development of publicly accessible data and analysis to inform the decisions within the public and private sector. S/he will support the development of new business models and strategies to accelerate investment in Myanmar’s rural energy sector. S/he will facilitate and sustain partnerships with financial institutions, investors, development finance institutions (DFIs), and the Government of Myanmar to mobilize investments and appropriate financing for decentralized renewable energy-based mini-grid projects. S/he will assist in developing effective business strategies for energy access and delivery models to roll out viable and scalable energy initiatives in communities across Myanmar.
The Energy Services Senior Director will work closely with the CEO of Smart Power Myanmar and will lead a small team of professionals dedicated to accelerating energy access and rural development.
This position is open to highly experienced energy professionals with significant international experience ideally within both the private and public sectors. Full expatriate package will be offered to the successful candidate.
The Energy Services Senior Director will demonstrate exceptional performance in the following functional areas:
- Identify suitable sites for mini-grid development, assess the technological and economic viability of those sites, and solicit and evaluate bids from prospective developers.
- Facilitate negotiations between communities, the Government of Myanmar, and prospective developers, representing the interests of communities who seek to gain access to energy.
- Engage with financial institutions and other partners to design and deploy financing mechanisms that support deployment of decentralized energy access solutions in rural Myanmar.
- Facilitate partnerships between investors and private developers with investment-ready energy access projects.
- Identify, analyze and develop business and financial models for commercially-viable decentralized energy projects in Myanmar.
- Manage a small team of professionals by providing professional development, guidance and leadership.
- MBA or similarly appropriate academic background in finance, business, economics or another relevant field.
- At least 10 years of experience in investment/business advisory, banking and/or asset management sectors, including solid experience in facilitating and closing investment deals within the energy sector.
- Prior experience in developing financial mechanisms/tools to accelerate investments in an under-developed sector.
- Extensive knowledge of the energy sector, with a solid track record working on transactions for both large- and medium-scale infrastructure.
- Commitment to live and work in Myanmar, including willingness to travel extensively in challenging conditions.