Eco-Business is looking for a passionate and motivated journalist to join our editorial team based in our Singapore headquarters which produces daily content on the latest sustainable development news in the region.
This role requires solid newsroom experience and impeccable English writing and speaking skills. You will work with a wide range of newsmakers and partners from public, private and multilateral organisations across the world.
You must have an excellent news sense, be able to write and edit to the highest standards to tight deadlines, be a team player, and possess a keen interest in sustainable development and how it relates to the business world. Photography and videography skills will be considered favourably.
Established in 2009, Eco-Business is an independent media and business intelligence company dedicated to sustainable development and ESG performance.
We publish high-quality, trusted news and views in multimedia formats on business and policy developments around the world with a sustainability and ESG-focused lens. Our platform features more than a decade-long archive of information on sustainable development issues in the region and globally.
Its content is categorised and searchable by the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and core sustainability topics, and it also provides a key platform for individuals and organisations to publish jobs, events, press releases, and research.
We provide research and consulting on wide-ranging issues which create strategic value for our partners and clients. We also own and create thought-leadership platforms which inform policymaking, improve business practices and foster collaboration among different sectors.
Over the past decade, our stories and initiatives have gained international recognition and won multiple regional and international awards. We are guided by the sole objective of generating positive impact for society and the environment.
Eco-Business is headquartered in Singapore, with a presence in Manila, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Zurich, New York, and correspondents in major cities across the world.
Our partners include the world’s biggest brands, Fortune 500 companies, MNCs, governments, multilateral institutions, civil society organisations, and philanthropic foundations that are aligned with our values and mission.
Reporting to the Managing Director and Deputy Editor, you will be responsible for writing news and feature stories, managing and writing for Eco-Business’s social media assets, and helping to deliver all content-related projects.
Key responsibilities include:
- Developing and pitching ideas for interesting and relevant news and feature stories for Eco-Business’s community of readers, and filing assigned stories.
- Developing and writing content partnership pieces with Eco-Business’s clients
- Social media management, including publishing all your stories on social media, comments moderation, LinkedIn group management, and reader engagement via comments and tweets.
- Sourcing for and republishing opinion pieces on a daily basis. Assessing incoming editorial pitches for suitability for the Eco-Business Opinions section, and making edits where necessary.
- Providing editorial support for Eco-Business projects and events, including: writing press releases, copy for marketing collaterals, and event reports, proofreading documents and newsletters, social media posts, among others.
- Photography or videography assignments.
- Some travel may be required occasionally.
- A keen interest in sustainability and development issues.
- A university degree in English, Literature, Communication Studies, or any other relevant field.
- At least three years of journalism experience in the newsroom of an established media outlet, or a freelancer with a portfolio of work published in reputable media outlets.
- A proven track record of identifying and writing creative and original news stories, and successful follow-up to promote them amongst readers and social media users.
- The ability to multi-task and cope with tight newsroom deadlines.
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy, and strong written and spoken English language skills.
- A proactive attitude and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the willingness to contribute to the success of a small but dynamic organisation.
- Familiarity with photography and videography gear and production, design and web tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, HTML and CSS, as well as social media and project management tools will be considered favourably
Only those with the required experience will be shortlisted for interviews.
To apply, please send an email with the role as the subject line, covering letter, CV, and links to samples of your work to Jessica Cheam, Managing Director at email@example.com; Robin Hicks, Deputy Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org; and Monique Armstrong, Operations Manager at email@example.com . Deadline is 30 September 2021.
We look forward to receiving your application!