Tara is a new philanthropic initiative which aims to achieve prosperity, clean air and a safe climate in Asia by supporting a diverse group of partners to accelerate the transition to sustainable, clean energy. Tara supports civil society organisations and research institutes in South, Southeast and East Asia – excluding India and China – to achieve its goals.
Tara is currently hosted as an independent platform at the European Climate Foundation and its strategy is being driven by a dedicated and fully localised team based out of the region.
We are looking for a Bangladesh Advisor to advise Tara on the development and implementation of our Bangladesh electricity transformation programme and to support civil society organisations advocating for a rapid transition to renewable energy in the interests of clean air and a safe climate.
We are looking for an advocate and strategist with the experience to build a coalition of diverse partners in the energy and environment space to drive systemic change. Experience in grant-making strategies and advising grantees on performance for results will be an added advantage. If you want to be involved in supporting a programme that works with a wide array of groups to achieve real-world changes, and advising on grants, this is the position for you!
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Bangladesh Advisor is responsible for advising on the development of our Bangladesh energy transitions programme, which includes the following key areas of responsibility:
- Strategy: The Bangladesh Advisor is responsible for advising Tara on developing a strategy for electricity sector transformation in Bangladesh, in consultation with Bangladeshi partners. The candidate would provide Tara with high level inputs and advice that will result in a multi-faceted, complex and multi-layered strategy, and will ensure that the strategy is continuously evaluated in consultation with Bangladeshi partners.
- Partnerships and Networking: The Bangladesh Advisor will be expected to maintain strong relationships with existing grantees in Bangladesh and work to develop the field of available partners in the country. S/he will work to ensure that grantees coordinate efforts well and are able to work collaboratively to seek the best possible outcome, and will also ensure that grantees have the training and strategic support necessary for success.
- Grantmaking: the Bangladesh Advisor will be responsible for advising Tara staff on potential grants, working with grantees to develop proposals and helping to monitor and evaluate the work of grantees. S/he will also work to constantly evaluate risks and recommend potential mitigation measures when needed.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, in either local or international foundations, NGOs, or donor agencies.
- Experience interacting and networking with policy and decision-makers in NGOs, industry, government and/or the financial sector.
- An understanding of how advocacy campaigns and collaborative engagement can create systemic change
- Demonstrable ability to develop strong programme strategies in a high trust and secure environment
- Experienced network builder across multiple stakeholder groups in different regions of Bangladesh.
- Professional level written and verbal communication skills in English and native fluency in Bengali.
- Commitment to Tara’s mission, values and approach. In particular commitment to transforming electricity systems in the interests of clean air and a safe climate.
- Flexibility over working hours to accommodate global time zones and willingness to travel both locally and internationally.
- Mandatory requirement: applicants must have a legal permit to live and work in Banglades
- Understanding of the power sector.
- Understanding of grantmaking practice.
12 month initial consultancy contract, full-time position, possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Bangladesh, flexible as to location.
How to apply:
Please upload below:
Cover Letter (Both in English)