Under the supervision of the Regional Coordinator for Chemicals, Waste and Air quality and the Programme Management Officer - Marine litter and Plastic Value Chain, and in close coordination with the COBSEA Coordinator as well as UN Environment’s internal communications team, the Communications, Outreach and Monitoring Impact consultant will give the project a public profile including identity and visibility, raise awareness on marine litter and plastic pollution, and track, analyse and outreach the project’s results achieved at Outcome and Output levels in order to promote behavioral change among industries and consumers and to create an enabling space for policy development.
The consultant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Communications on marine litter and plastic value chain
• Lead the development and implementation of annual action plan based on the project’s communication strategy in collaboration with UN Environment Corporate Communications and the communication team in UN Environment Asia and the Pacific Office.
• Lead the preparation of a set of identify products for the project (e.g. logo, slogan, key messages) and a project website.
• Develop and lead the development of partnership events, including the organization of an annually-occurring constituency engagement and partnership forum.
• Leverage UN agencies, donors and relevant partners to deliver the Project outputs and outcomes with innovative communications initiatives.
• Ensure that execution partners, stakeholders, and donors identify with and adopt appropriate branding of the project and its objective (through stories, case studies, social media, website, etc.).
• Leverage UN Environment’s and partners global campaigns (e.g. #cleanseas) and media opportunities to highlight visibility of interventions on plastic value chain as mean to reduce marine litter.
• Optimise outreach and visibility by leveraging synergies with other relevant marine litter and plastic pollution projects in the region and globally.
• Ensure the project is well-communicated externally as well as internally within UN Environment.
2. Impact tracking and outreach
• Gather, track, and analyse the project results achieved at Outcome and Output levels supporting project monitoring and reporting internally and to partners, donors as well as other external audiences.
• Help with quantification and visualization of project progress, including presentation of technical information as well as results achieved in easy-to-grasp information outputs for outreach (including e.g. infographics, short video clips, case studies etc.).
• Provide simple communications of the quantifiable results of project outcomes and impact (through stories, case studies, social media, website, etc.)
• Contribute to design and implementation of periodic surveys on perceptions among target audiences and consumer awareness.
• Support positioning of the project as a leader in supporting developing countries in reducing marine litter by providing quantifiable information from the project in addressing the management of the plastic value chain in Southeast Asia.
• Maintain active liaison with and contribute to the work of project partners related to knowledge management and networking related to marine litter, plastic pollution and the plastic value chain.
Office-based (possibly travel to countries as necessary)
1 May 2019 to 30 April 2020
Deadline for submission
14 April 2019