The Atmosphere is an evolving integrated commercial development situated in the ‘Golden Triangle’ of the South Klang Valley, Malaysia. Spreading over 53 acres, it will include a hypermarket, shopping mall, hotel, serviced apartments, office suites and retail shops.
Phase 2E is a site nestled within the development and forms the final parcel of Phase 2. It is surrounded by a silhouette of 4-storey shop offices (Phases 2A to 2D) and a future mix development project.
Lava, the name of the building, has 45 levels with 20,000m2 GFA and 54 retail and office units. It features a multipurpose atrium area with three well-lit and naturally-ventilated ground floors in raised courtyard plazas, connecting the lifestyle and retail outlets on the upper levels of the structure.
The challenge was to achieve certification in Non-Residential Building from Singapore’s BCA (Building and Construction Authority) Green Mark for this retail and commercial building, and encourage Green habits by rental tenants.
GreenA Consultants worked with Atmosphere from the beginning to optimize the design to achieve certification. “Something interesting about this project was the need to encourage Green habits from the tenants, since the building owner has limited control over what tenants do,” said Farizan d’Avezac de Moran of GreenA. A set of conditional terms were developed as part of the leases contracted with tenants regarding waste management, energy efficiency and lighting guidelines.
Green Features & Benefits:
- Single glazed reflective glass façade reduces glare and will result in a reduced cooling load for the building
- Good passive ventilation flow with a centralized courtyard and mezzanine provides improved air quality and reduced energy usage and
- Light fixtures fitted with energy efficient T5, CFL and LED lights with occupancy sensors will result in estimated 20% energy savings over conventional buildings
- Lifts installed with VVVF with sleep mode and escalators with motion sensors for energy savings
- Energy-starred equipment and appliances used to optimize energy savings
- Water usage and leak detection system and water saving features and WELS 3 tick fittings will result in estimated 50% water savings
- Zenith waste compactor to be utilized to reduce landfill waste
- Good sound acoustic and IAQ, RH, velocity
- Car park fitted with ductless jet fans with CO sensors to provide energy savings and good indoor air quality
- Bike lots installed to discourage car usage
- Recycled content, local and/or green labeled material used where possible for reduced environmental impact
- Extensive greenery used for environment beautification and cooling with compost made from on-site horticultural waste
“To get the Green Mark certification, we have features like heat reflective polycarbonate roofing from Korea to cover the boulevards, water and electricity saving fixtures and fittings, and reflective glass for the shop offices, says Tempo Properties Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Khoo Boo Hian. He added “this will translate into lower water and energy bills and maintenance cost, as well as an enhanced work environment.”
Farizan of GreenA remarked that “by being involved in the project design from the outset we were able to help gain certification and the design will in turn result in cost savings over the long run. I hope to see more insightful clients like Atmosphere who were able to expand their own green goals by influencing their tenant’s behavior.”
GreenA Consultants was the lead Green Consultant on this project and provides advisory and consultancy services in areas of sustainability and achievement of Singapore BCA Green Mark, LEED, Green Globe and Malaysia Green Building Index certification. www.greenaconsultants.com
Kelly Bassett, Consultant/LEED: GreenA Consultants