On the 11th & 12th July 2011, the Green Data Center Conference was held at Istana Hotel. It was officiated by Y.Bhg. Datuk Loo Took Gee, Secretary General of Ministry of Energy, Green Technology, and Water Malaysia (KeTTHA). She stressed the importance of green initiatives in data center and encouraged everyone to take a step towards restructuring data center facilities in the region. The conference was hosted by Comfori International Sdn Bhd and attended by 150 delegates, which primarily comprised IT professionals.
Green Data Center Conference aimed to initiate green initiatives in data center following the rapid growth of the global data center capacity. Demand for data centers is expected to grow at 10% CAGR over the next decade, as businesses automate more processes, perform more complex analytics, store more granular customer data and employ rich media. Capacity demand in emerging markets like China will rise especially quickly, as institutions there become larger and more sophisticated.
An analyst from research firm Frost and Sullivan said that demand for data center space in Asia-Pacific significantly outpaces supply in the region and expects growth in the provider market to persist at high rates. Therefore, this conference provided an opportunity and an exclusive platform to bring together world class IT professionals from data center solutions providers, global corporations, government bodies, and government-linked industries worldwide.
The conference introduced a line-up of high profile speakers that presented their wealth of knowledge and experience in the data center industry in the conference which included:
- David Cottingham Director, Global Professional Services for Data Centers and Storage Dimension Data
- Eric Liew Sales Specialist, Data Centre & Storage, Solutions Development Group Dimension Data Malaysia
- Ir. Eric Chang Managing Director PA Vision
- Datuk Badlisham Ghazali Chief Executive Officer Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC)
- Heoh Chin Fah Chairman Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Malaysia
- Ir. Francis Xavier Jacob Director Energy Management Energy Commission of Malaysia
- Matthew Rajendra Regional Director Green Computing Initiative (GCI); Deputy Director-General Asia Centre of Green Computing Research (ACGCR)
- Matthias Gelber Greenest Person on the Planet
- Andy Soon Site and Facilities Consultant IBM Asean
- Thyaga Rajan Technical Director, Basis Bay
- Suresh Ramasamy Technology Strategist/Futurist Digi Telecommunications
This conference attracted sponsors from the IT industry. Dimension Data (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., as platinum sponsor and VMWare, as co-platinum sponsor, were pleased with the level of involvement offered in the conference. As the subject of green data center is still new worldwide, the conference provided a platform for their representatives to associate themselves with data center industry practitioners. Other sponsors include and PA Vision Sdn. Bhd., the gold sponsor in the conference. Similar to Dimension Data Malaysia, PA Vision was satisfied with the networking opportunities with IT professionals involved in the data center industry and comprehensive topic coverage in the conference. Emerson Network Power (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., who participated as an exhibitor in the conference, found the conference as a good starting point for business ventures with government agencies.
This conferencewas also supported by Ministry of Energy, Green Technology, and Water Malaysia (KeTTHA) and Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) Malaysia. On-board as media partners for the conference were Green Purchasing Asia, Data Center Journal, Eco-Business.com, Asian e-Marketing, Green Business Times and Asia is Green.
Issues addressed in this conference included:
- Global pressures to reduce carbon emissions
- Reducing data center operation and management cost
- Revolutionising energy efficiency
- Server density and power consumption
- Managing explosive growth
- Green IT technology
- Latest initiative: Cloud Computing
- Creative solutions in finding qualified staff: urgent need to reduce outsourcing
About Comfori: In accordance with Comfori’s aim to adopt green initiatives, Comfori organises many workshops and conferences on sustainability-related issues. For more information, please contact Huey Ying at (603) 5621 3630 ext. 108 or email@example.com