A total of 4,534.88 acres or 81.27 per cent from the 5,580.23 acres of illegal farm sites in Cameron Highlands has been cleared up to July 10.
The National Security Council (NSC) said in a statement released here that it was an increase of 73.43 per cent compared with before Jan 26.
The statement was issued following a special meeting on flash floods and landslides in Cameron Highlands, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin at the Perdana Putra Building, here, today.
Despite positive developments, the NSC said as coordinator of integrated operations in the Highlands, it always took note of media reports of attempts to rebuild what had been destroyed and unscrupulous people bribing officials to close their eyes to illegal activities taking place at such areas.
In this respect, it urged the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to take decisive action to address the issues in Cameron Highlands.
“If any government official is found to be accepting bribe, they will not be excluded (from enforcement) and MACC has the full authority to enforce the law,” the statement said.
The NSC also urged the state government, together with federal government agencies, to continue working together to address issues that have been identified, to ensure the recovery of Cameron Highlands.
The statement added that the Department of Town and Country Planning, Peninsular Malaysia was preparing the Cameron Highlands Local Plan 2030 Studies as a Special Management Area to replace the existing Cameron Highlands Local Plan 2003-2015.
Among others, the studies also looked into suggestions on agriculture management at Temporary Occupation Licences (TOL) areas, said the NSC.