About the project
Approximately 8 million tons of plastic leak into the ocean every year, with 80% of this from Asia. Malaysia is considered one of the top 8 countries for ocean plastic pollution, with approximately 0.94 million tonnes of plastic mismanaged and leaking into the environment every year.
Gone Adventurin has been commissioned to research plastic and packaging flows in Malaysia (focused on KL) to provide key insights, pioneering metrics and strategic recommendations to our client and to the packaging and consumer goods industry in Malaysia to move towards a world without waste. This research will equip stakeholders with science based evidence, tools and frameworks to create large scale solutions.
About The Role
Objective of role is to conduct high quality surveys for research into the current status quo of waste in KL.
- Conducting surveys:
- Across a pre-agreed number of households, waste collectors, recycling pickers, bulk waste generators, and junk shops. (Approximately 100 in total);
- These surveys will be split evenly across different pre-agreed districts, income levels etc.;
- Surveys must be completed per schedule and timelines agreed;
- Ensuring that the surveys are high quality;
- Without errors in the data;
- All data collected must be standardised to consistent units;
- Translating any Malay notes taken during the surveys to English;
- Being available for contact throughout the project duration for any clarifications or updates.
Further details on the above will provided upon role confirmation including finalising the number of surveys and timeline.
A fee of 17 MYR will be paid for every survey completed that meets the quality standards mentioned above. On average, the Research Analyst is expected to conduct 50-75 surveys over a 4-6 week period.
Pre-requisites and skill sets needed
- Good communication and interpersonal skills – to approach various stakeholders;
- Good quantitative data gathering skills to ensure quality of the data collected through the surveys;
- Capable and comfortable traveling in KL for surveys;
- At least an intermediate knowledge of English – to communicate with the GA team in Singapore; Survey questions will be in Malay, but the responses must be submitted in English.
- A basic background in sustainability and environment. Note that past experience in waste management is not required – we’ll train the selected candidate on waste management knowledge required for the role.
What’s in it for you
- Opportunity to work on a pioneering research study to transform recycling and waste management in Malaysia.
- Be part of Gone Adventurin – a mindfully growing, Singapore-headquartered social enterprise dedicated to finding business-driven solutions to tackle waste challenges in Asia.
About Gone Adventurin (GA)
Asia is the biggest contributor to post-consumer waste mismanagement in the world. Gone Adventurin is a sustainability consultancy and project implementation partner on a mission to tackle post-consumer waste in Asia. Our vision is to create a world without waste.
We help companies design business strategies, implement pilots to recycle post-consumer waste and create closed loop supply chains so that nothing goes to waste. Our work enables our clients to become attractive to investors and loved by consumers. We have worked with clients such as P&G; in India, Danone in Indonesia, Dole Foods in the Philippines, National Environment Agency in Singapore and Unilever in Vietnam.