Volunteer Title: Compliance Officer
Reports to: Executive Director, Nexus Board
Duty station: Remote, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Time expectation: 2 hours per week
Term: 1 to 2 years
About Nexus for Development
Nexus opens doors for development. We work with a diverse range of organizations that are improving people’s lives in the face of poverty and climate change. Nexus’ connects award-winning organizations with world-leading businesses and investors, inspiring change that maximizes sustainable development outcomes.
As a membership organisation, Nexus helps its members scale up their projects by connecting them to innovative funding sources, including carbon finance and loans. We provide technical resources and support to grow operations and deliver positive environmental impacts. Nexus members are part of a network that enables knowledge sharing opportunities with experienced project developers, social entrepreneurs, and non-governmental organizations.
Nexus is incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee in Singapore and operates under a Charity License. The same entity is also registered as an International NGOin Cambodia where most of the staff is based. Nexus answers to a Board through the Executive Director.
For more information visit www.nexusfordevelopment.org
About the role
We are seeking a Compliance Officer to manage the compliance and governance-related administrative tasks of the Nexus Board and organisation. The Compliance Officerof Nexus will play an important role in supporting the business of the Board, as Nexus grows as a unique network and finance partnersupporting low-carbon solutionsin Asia.
This person will liaise closely with the Nexus Executive Director, the Board Chair and the Corporate Secretary in Singapore. This volunteer role would be suited to someone who has experience in governance or legal compliance and would like to support the growth of a non-profit.
Company Secretarial and compliance management (80%):
- Coordination with the Singapore Corporate Secretary for statutory records and required filing and reporting (of annual accounts, AGM, change in directors…)
- Meetings of the Nexus Board: arrange and coordinate meetings, set agenda, compile and circulate documents to Directors one week prior to meetings, take minutes, follow up as required in relation to actions
- Ensuring compliance to Nexus Articles of Association
- Ensure adequate compliance and reporting to the Charity Authority in Singapore
- Ensure the Board induction documentation is up-to-date and induct new directors
Relationship management (15%):
- Communicate effectively with the Nexus Board, leadership team and Corporate Secretary in Singapore.
- Identify opportunities to assist Nexus’ impact through its Board and organisational compliance
Key selection criteria
Knowledge and skills
- Awareness of regulatory compliance required of a Singapore Public Company
- Knowledge of Directors’ duties and compliance with the Companies Act
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of success in company secretarial functions and/or similar legal or compliance roles (desirable)
- Working in small, purpose driven organisations (desirable)
- Detail oriented, autonomous
- High level ofconfidentiality
- Comfortable with ambiguity or complexity and solution-driven
- Commitment to Nexus’ vision, mission and objectives
- Tertiary qualifications in law or finance/commerce/accounting
What we offer
- Insight in financing sustainable development projects in Southeast Asia, including clean energy (cookstoves, biogas), water, and sanitation.
- Understanding of climate change issues in Southeast Asia and how these can be addressed with technical expertise, innovative finance, and partnerships.
- Exposure tostrategy discussions, high-level decision making of a small, mission-driven organisation
- Training and guidance
How to apply
Please send a copy of your CV (max 3 pages) and cover letter (max 1page) that briefly addresses the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Compliance Officer Volunteer Position” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered as received and in order of reception. Deadline for applications is May 18, 2018, or until a suitable candidate is found.