Beyond Zero Emissions is seeking an experienced, passionate and dynamic CEO.
We are seeking a CEO who can lead and consolidate the organisation through the next period of change and growth. The ideal candidate will have proven leadership and change management experience, and the ability to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders from all walks of life. BZE enjoys a uniquely scientific and apolitical position that crosses the partisan divide and the new CEO will understand the huge opportunity this presents.
Applications Close: 21 October 2016
Employer: Beyond Zero Emissions
Work Type/s: Full Time
Classification/s: Executive & Senior Management, Policy & Research,Environment & Sustainability, Green Energy, Project Management, Fundraising
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 23 September, 2016.
Beyond Zero Emissions Inc. is a not-for-profit research and communication organisation developing plans for the implementation of climate change solutions and a Zero Emissions Australia. Our goal is to transform Australia from a 19th century fossil fuel based economy to a 21st century renewable powered economy and zero emissions society.
Through the Zero Carbon Australia (ZCA) research project and Zero Carbon Communities initiatives, BZE is encouraging climate change policy that is in line with the latest science. BZE research is independent, audacious and rigorous. To facilitate implementation of the ZCA plans BZE aims to engage, educate and inspire key stakeholders and policymakers.
The Zero Carbon Australia Project is putting together comprehensive transition plans for getting Australia to zero emissions in ten years using commercially available technology. The ZCA project covers six sectors: stationary energy, buildings, transport, land use, industrial processes and export industries. The energy, buildings and export sector plans have been completed, while the transport and land use plans are partially complete, and the current focus is on industrial processes.
The Zero Carbon Communities initiative is providing local communities with resources and templates for how they too can reach zero emissions and beyond.
BZE relies on a large number of dedicated and skilled volunteers around the country who are pivotal to the organisation’s success and contribute significantly to both research and communication.
Beyond Zero Emissions is seeking an experienced, passionate and dynamic CEO who can lead and consolidate the organisation through the next period of change and growth. The ideal candidate will have proven leadership and change management experience, and the ability to build strong relationships with multiple stakeholders from all walks of life. BZE enjoys a uniquely scientific and apolitical position that crosses the partisan divide and the new CEO will understand the huge opportunity this presents.
Reporting to and with the support of the Board, the CEO will provide the inspiration, strategic vision, planning, and operational leadership needed to ensure Beyond Zero Emissions can deliver on its ambitious vision and mission. The CEO of BZE has the courage required to lead an audacious organisation willing to take leadership on climate solutions and to accept risks in order to achieve its aims.
As CEO you will be responsible for giving strategic direction and creating a vision for success, to thrive you will be able to see the “big picture” in a variety of settings. You will be in charge of reinvigorating the communication function of BZE: strengthening relationships with key collaborators and groups, building a strong communication plan and team, lobbying and influencing key policy and decision makers.
1. Strategic and operational planning
In collaboration with the board, staff, members, volunteers and appropriate stakeholders, the CEO will lead the development of strategic plans for BZE. The CEO will develop an annual business plan and budget, submitted to the Board for approval.
2. Stakeholder engagement
Actively engage and energise volunteers, staff, board members, partnering organisations, policymakers and funders. The CEO will develop positive and effective relationships with stakeholders across all key groups.
The CEO will lead the development and implementation of a strategic communication plan to support the BZE vision and achievement of strategic goals, and development of a strong communication team.
The CEO will lead the development and implementation of a diverse and innovative fundraising strategy essential to support the work of BZE.
5. People Management and Leadership
The CEO will be responsible for providing staff, volunteers and stakeholders with the management and leadership they need to effectively do their jobs.
6. Operational management
The CEO ensures the development of and adherence to operating policies, systems and practices that meet acceptable standards and allow BZE to achieve its objectives while maintaining accountability to the members and funders.
The CEO will be thoroughly committed to and passionate about action on climate change and the mission of Beyond Zero Emissions.
All candidates should have proven leadership experience, the ability to manage change, and be able to connect with people from all walks of life. Concrete demonstrable experience and skills include:
- Passion, idealism, integrity, a positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Excellence in organisational and project management with the ability to coach staff, work with volunteers, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Senior management experience with a track record of effectively leading a performance- and outcomes-based organisation and team.
- Strong relationship skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to build fundraising, communication and lobbying capacity.
- Energy, drive and focus to lead the change required both internally and externally.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Experience developing productive, collaborative partnerships with external agencies and influential individuals.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a motivated and actively involved Board.
One or more of the following would be an asset, but not essential
- Experience working within a research or policy based organisation.
- Active engagement in the environmental and/or climate change movement
- Interest/experience in or understanding of the technical fields of BZE’s Zero Carbon Australia research plans: renewable energy, buildings, land use, transport or industrial processes
Remuneration and Location
A remuneration package will reflect standard NGO rates ($80,000 to $120,000) with room for negotiation with the successful candidate.
The position is based at the Beyond Zero Emissions head office in Kindness House, 288 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne. Some interstate travel will be required.
The successful applicant will be required to enter into a contract for a maximum of two years with an opportunity for it to be renewed.
Formal written applications in the form of a covering letter and resume (in one document) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line:
CEO application via ECO-Business Website.
The application should include:
- Personal details, including full name, address and contact details.
- A brief statement outlining what the candidate feels he/she would bring to this position and what he/she would expect to accomplish in the role.
- A detailed response to the selection criteria taking into account experience, past roles and expertise.
- Resume covering: positions held including dates and details of present position and key achievements; details of education and professional training and qualifications; any other relevant information such as offices held in professional bodies.
- The names of three referees with contact details and an explanation as to the kind of insight these people might offer on your background and skills. Referees will not be contacted without your prior agreement.
- An indication of the earliest date on which the candidate would be available to commence at Beyond Zero Emissions.
Why this is a green job
The CEO of BZE is also the program director and manager of the Zero Carbon Australia project. This acclaimed program is still Australia’s only comprehensive, national, rapid costed blueprint for transitioning to a low carbon economy that is part of the return to a safe climate.