Rivers are the lifeblood of human settlements providing a myriad of ecosystem services. As the global population passes 7 billion, the sustainable management of our rivers and water resources is crucial.
The 15th International Riversymposium, 8-11 October 2012 in Melbourne, VIC will look at Rivers in a Rapidly Urbanising World and will explore the intricately linked pressures on rivers as our urban population grows and expands.
Program focus areas will include:
- A river runs through it: designing river cities
- River health: healthy rivers, healthy economies, healthy people
- River ecology: beneath the surface
- River knowledge: tools and techniques for action
- River pressures: pathways to sustainability
- River partnerships: integrating people, governance and policy